General Advice - battery in boot

Currently reading:
General Advice - battery in boot

Smiler121

Rip'n'Burn
Can anyone give me some advice on how to move the battery of a Sei MPi without ABS to the boot?

Tried looking for a thread but have drawn a blank, pointers welcome.

I know that at some point I'll need to replace the battery & at the moment the Strutbrace I have makes it a nightmare to remove (as you'll see in my pix)

Has anybody on here done it already & maybe have some pix of how they connected the fuses (I take it you leave them under the bonnet?)

I have a decent length left of 0AWG cable which I got for a bargain on here & have already used to replace the main 2 earths, know it'll be a pain to route through to the boot, but would plan to use that.

After the wiring & box are done I seem to remember you need a breather - why & how?

Attachments

• IMG_3974 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3974 (Custom).JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3973 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3973 (Custom).JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 59
The fact it's an MPI doesn't change a thing. Have junction box somewhere around the battery tray area in the engine bay, wire up the connectors that normally are on the battery post clamp to that. Then you simply run a length of battery cable to the location you'll keep the battery and connect it all up, use a decent earth point close to the battery and job done.

I'm not sure that cable is not good enough to start a car, do not use it, you need correct gauge cable meant for running a cars starter motor from the battery, that cable looks to me to be more appropriate for car audio not cranking an engine.

My Cinq turbo had the battery in the boot, held firmly in place MOT requirement in a alloy battery tray, plenty of pictures of it on this forum, and RATSport use a picture of the battery in the boot to advertise there battery holder on there site http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/s...d&ActinicSID=362dcf943f242dc80bbfc74defd21329.

Get correct cable from here, it is not expensive http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/batterycable.php

When I did mine, I cut the battery connector off the lead from alternator, then connected it to the extra cable with a butt connector http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/batterycable.php. I then ran the cable into the car through a hole at back of where the battery used to sit into car then ran along the cable run that is already in place under the plastic sill cover in the car.

I then reused my prefect condition earth lead form the battery and used the same fixing that the rear seat attaches to the body work as this is a good earthing point and is ideal distance wise from battery to attach it.

Oil catch tank where battery used to be
Cinqcloseupofoilcatchtank.jpg

battery in boot
Cinqbatteryinboot.jpg

Last edited:
My battery is behind the drivers seat. I used a through bulkhead fitting rather than risk the cable pasing through the bulkhead, remembering that mine gets a lot more vibration than most. Earth lead, taped in yellow (MSA requirement) bolted to floor.

Cheers

D

I've been looking for a place to fit the catch tank...this is it :) Cheers guys!

I have use vpw site for all my loom wire, its a great company with good prices and massive range (the catalouge has more than online).

The only downsides are that with the sub and battery, I will be running short of boot space lol. Also I'll be tempted to up the battery and alternator (thinking one of the new clutched alternators if at all possible, free up a horse power i bet)

Kristian

Thanks for the advice & opinions folks,

I'm not sure that cable is not good enough to start a car, do not use it, you need correct gauge cable meant for running a cars starter motor from the battery, that cable looks to me to be more appropriate for car audio not cranking an engine.

To be honest I cannot find any reference to Xtreme Audio 1/0AWG cable (or any other 1/0AWG cable being unsuitable for a starter motor, the ampage capacity of the cable seems fine at over 300A & when I looked at jump leads in my local suppliers the specs of the cheap leads came in lower with thinner cable, dearer ones were similar to the spec of the stuff I've got.

If anyone can explain to me why the stuff I have is unsuitable I'd consider swapping back, but have been using it for a couple of months without any issues?

As for asking about the MPi, was mainly wondering if there is a pre-existing hole I'll be able to use as I can't get behind the battery to look without taking off my strut (part of the incentive for a move).

Glad to hear suggestions, & see pix though as I was pretty confident about most of it & have now got more idea of what I'm looking for in terms of connectors & a tray (had not thought of Ebay for some reason).

Anyone got any suggestions on why I thought you needed something called a battery breather?

Last edited:
Last edited:
well there is a little flappy thing in the boot

what if you dont as such have a boot ie no interior is it still ok too put battery in the boot ??

See if you can find the pics of my car in the gallery.

25finish2.jpg

Battery behind drivers seat in red box, extinguisher system behind passenger seat, washer bottle N/S/R corner.

Cheers

D

Last edited:
My battery is behind the drivers seat. I used a through bulkhead fitting rather than risk the cable pasing through the bulkhead, remembering that mine gets a lot more vibration than most. Earth lead, taped in yellow (MSA requirement) bolted to floor.

Cheers

D

Yeah I did look at these but TBH after checking out Emma's Dad's Clan Crusader where said battery is in the front and engine in rear battery cable passes through two bulk heads and after 30 years the cable/grommet has shown no signs of rubbing through so decided for my 'luxurious' road going car it was a luxury not a necessity.

His Imp Rally Cars including the 1976 UK C&CC up to 1600cc Championship Winning one were the same, but I know the technology probably wasn't about then lol :D

Forgot to add I think like Colin (sure we spoke by PM about this when he did his) that i used 25mm2 cable.

And as for a breath system, my integrale has one as standard that like aftermarket ones traps oil vapour in the tank, the only differance is that it then fees it back to the sump rather than collect it for draining.

Last edited:
My Fire extinguisher is there.

Cheers

D

If i get an extinguisher it'll have to go in the drivers rear footwell as ill have another big bottle in the spare wheel well:slayer: :D :slayer: and a batt in the other footwell

....Well the heaviest out of the batt and extinguisher will go in the passengers rear footwell for weight distribution when its just me in the car

I didn't put mine in the footwell, I've seen too many rocks bash floorpans, which is why mine sit higher.

In the Manta we had an extinguisher under the co drivers knees. It smacked him on the back of the legs when the floor took a pounding in Errochty on the Scottish.

Cheers

D

Look on the brightside.

If you leave it where it is you'll never fail an MOT for the battery being unsecured. :p

I have the same prob, I've rigged up an extra cig lighter socket under the dash connected straight to the battery and have a male plug on my battery charger in case it needs to be charged. I only need to get the battery out now at replcement time so i can live with this inconveniance every 3 or four years

Back