500 Advice appreciated

Currently reading:
500 Advice appreciated

trickyt2021

Hello everybody, hoping for some assistance. Purchased a Fiat 500 2015 on 6th March and it developed a problem a couple of days ago. Have contacted dealer & they have agreed to repair. However while checking sales invoice (dated 5th March) today for details it shows the mileage as 25,341. I checked current mileage, showing as 25,642. The delivery drive from dealer accounts for about 50 miles of that, & I doubt I’ve driven 10 miles myself - that leaves over 200 miles unaccounted for. My long-winded query is this: (a) is this acceptable practice and (b) given that the mileage as advertised was clearly inaccurate, could dealer as a gesture of goodwill be reasonably expected to collect car for repair and re-deliver? And finally, is it possible to date check odometer to prove it wasn’t me who drove the excess 200+ miles?
Thanks for reading & apols for lengthy monologue.

Last edited:
I think its not unusual. Car miles recorded when taken in and then it may be used by staff or for demos before sale. Its a bit slap dash and worth pointing out, but 200 miles is unlikely to make much difference to the price. Worth asking them to collect and return if its more convenient and point this out at the same time, but don't expect much I suggest.

I hope the car goes well once sorted!

Last edited:
Car miles recorded when taken in and then it may be used by staff or for demos before sale.

Unless you took down the mileage on delivery to you, I'd say this is what has happened, and that the mileage shown on the invoice isn't correct.

Since it will not materially affect the car's value, you haven't really lost anything, so personally I wouldn't stress about it.

I'd be much more concerned about getting the problem fixed. What has happened, exactly?

Hi jrkitching, advice re: mileage taken. The problem is that after having driven a total of probably less than 10 miles, on turning the steering wheel to the right, there was a grinding noise on the left hand-side of the car. Little turns, big turns. I did check it out on this forum (before joining) and it seems it could be any number of things. My current concern really is that dealer wants me to drive (possibly unsound?) vehicle on a 50 mile journey, and then “wait for a few hours” while they investigate & repair.

Hi jrkitching, advice re: mileage taken. The problem is that after having driven a total of probably less than 10 miles, on turning the steering wheel to the right, there was a grinding noise on the left hand-side of the car. Little turns, big turns. I did check it out on this forum (before joining) and it seems it could be any number of things. My current concern really is that dealer wants me to drive (possibly unsound?) vehicle on a 50 mile journey, and then “wait for a few hours” while they investigate & repair.

Any progress with this?

Any garage could investigate an obvious noise issue..
50 miles with a stone jammed in there wont do the disc any favours :eek:

Last edited:
Back