Technical Adding new stereo - newbie questions

Currently reading:
Technical Adding new stereo - newbie questions

dilby

Hi all - I'm wanting to upgrade the stereo in my 2017 ducato and I'm in over my head as I've never done it before. I'm basically wondering if I can choose any standard stereo and combine it with some sort of fascia adapter to make it sit properly within the dash, or if I'm limited to speciality units. I can find a few fascias but they also come with adapter cables and are super expensive.

This leads me to my next question; will the cables themselves be universal or does that need special adapters too?

Thanks

I don't know how a ducato 2017 stereo plug looks like, but I'd say that an adapter would be necessary. Aftermarket stereos are equipped mostly with an ISO standard plug, and car / van installations are make / model specific. You can also take out the pins of the plugs and connect them directly taking care of a proper insulation, which will take some time.

Check aliexpress. That would be much cheaper and you will get the same things that are available on ebay and amazon... That's how globalization works :D

For the van stereo pinout, you'll probably need to check eLearn. For a 2017 Ducato there is I think one available over the net on aftersales.fiat.com, but I've lost the link somewhere and cannot find it :( Check also the download section here, there is a downloadable version, but at least one of them covers only the x250 model. And the new aftermarket stereo should come with a connection diagram.

If you're looking for a 2DIN stereo with android, be sure it has at least 4 GB of RAM. And check that it will be compatible with your van reverse camera and steering wheel buttons (if you have them), those can need adapters too (normally the factory van reversing camera is not 12V operated, as most of the aftermarket ones are).

Hi all - I'm wanting to upgrade the stereo in my 2017 ducato and I'm in over my head as I've never done it before. I'm basically wondering if I can choose any standard stereo and combine it with some sort of fascia adapter to make it sit properly within the dash, or if I'm limited to speciality units.
The detailed answer will depend on the stereo you currently have fitted.

If it is a factory-fit unit both selection of the replacement unit and any configuration to make it work properly will be somewhat "involved" (though not impossible). This is because it will be integrated into the vehicle canbus, and in addition some vehicle configuration options are likely to be implemented via the radio. I suspect, given your question about fascia adapters that this may be the case.

If the vehicle left the factory without a radio, and an aftermarket unit has been fitted (common practice with some motorhome converters) then the job is (should be) somewhat easier.

Note that the dash shape is subtly different for the above two cases, and fascia adapters, if required, will be different.

Back