General acceleration pedal

Currently reading:
General acceleration pedal

panda_owner

Ever since I bought my Panda, there was this problem: my car pulls equally good when I press acc. pedal more then about 30%. In other words, pressing it to the metal will do the same effect as pressing it up to 30%.

I think the carb on the 750 is single barrel, so the mixture intake is limited by the ammount of suck, as there is no additional mixture to be had from another barrel.

The other thing to have a look at, with the filter box off, is to see if the throttle opens any more after the first part of the pedal travel...

panda_owner said:
Do you think, hypotheticaly, that car would go better without air-flow-limiting air filter?

Quite possibly - but the limit I meant was a single narrow bore carurettor.

If you're into tuning, there's information out there for the "FIRE" engine.

IMHO you're starting in the wrong place though -
the Panda as a complete package is more or less balanced:
not a huge ammount of power,
or speed,
or handling,
or braking.

If you start to alter it much you'll find the brakes aren't up to it, etc etc..

Get a Cinq sporting and put a 1242cc engine in it if you want something which flies :)

Flying is not my sport. Not even fast driving (my average speed is 40-50 km/h) I just want to climb up my hill (where I live, by the way) without putting into 1st gear half of the way up.
And yes, when the car is cold, he goes better with fulll throtle.
The car is warmer - this problem is worse! maybe this will ring the bell...
That is bugging me because I KNOW it can go better!

Last edited:
Is it pinking? I would suggest checking the ignition timing, which is easily done - do a search on this forum for instructions on how to go about this. Poor ignition timing can affect performance signifigantly.

I wouldn't run with out the air filter, the air intake is quite low down and in damp conditions I would be concerned with water getting in. - As well as dust, insects, grit which all damage the engine. As a compromise, you can get so called 'performance filters', or try trimming down the existing one.

Have you checked the throttle cable as John suggested?

could it be that because the panda carb is not a CV type whe you whack the gas open the intake speed drops and so it reduces the power. try winding on the power slowly see if that helps

You could also take a look at the vacuum advance cartridge on the distributor.

These "pop" and the lack of timing advance does spoil the way it goes.

Take the pipe off the carb end and blow down it.
If you can it's faulty, if not it is OK.

A quick, no cost test.

Back