Technical AC Issue! advise please. 500X 2017 1.4

Currently reading:
Technical AC Issue! advise please. 500X 2017 1.4

Markwv11

Hi All,

My wife has a 500X we purchased a few months back on a private sale, A/c didn't appear working so negotiated a bit from the asking price to get it re-gassed!!! The wife wasn't to bothered at the time but now the summer has hit she would like the A/C sorting.

I've had a look at it and I think the Compressor is NFG but I would like to run some thoughts before I take it in to the garage.

The climate control functions seem to work as should, If I set it to MAX a/c the cabin fan run full blowers move to centre and have no flashing light on the A/c button just a solid amber light. the compressor does not cut in.
With the engine off I can rotate the center of the compressor.
I put a set of Gauges on the low side and have about 120psi, the gauge doesn't move when the engine is running, I wondered if this was a little high but given the ambient temp has been 25 degrees C I though it may be right??
I've checked Fuse F9 in the fuse panel under the bonnet, that is okay.
I found the 12v control relay for the compressor, removed it and tested, it appeared to be ok but found a bosch one online so replaced it. Still no compressor run.
I removed the relay and used a jumper to short the switch pins and the compressor clutch clicked.
After this I ran the engine, shorted the switch pins at the relay/fuse board and the compressor engaged and centre section started to spin, however the gauge needle stayed around 120 psi and didn't move?? I checked the cabin and the vents were still blowing warm air.
could a faulty pressure switch still stop the A/c even if I've effectively bypassed the control system?
the only other thing I have noticed is the outside temp sensor is not working, all we have is a -- on the center screen.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any comments.

Hi All,

the only other thing I have noticed is the outside temp sensor is not working, all we have is a -- on the center screen.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any comments.
If the dash temp is saying -- deg/C then the temperature sensor in the passenger's door mirror has failed. This was a common problem on earlier 500X. I have this AND IT STOPPPED THE AIRC from working.

You need to first sort the temp. sensor out and than go from there.

You can buy the sensor for a few £s. Search the 500X forum and you will find posts about it.

https://www.500xownersclub.co.uk/th...nt-temperature-sensor-replacement-guide.2917/See also:

what gauges do you have to put on the car and check the pressure? 99.99999% of the general public do not have the tools to be measuring pressure on an aircon system, so it begs the question of what are you using ?

Assuming you’d bypassed the relay and the clutch was engaged with the compressor spinning then the pressure absolutely should have changed which makes me think this gauge is not reliable.

Thanks for all the responses, just a quick update. I replaced the outside temp sensor with one from eBay and all is good now!!
A/c kicked into life and is lovely and cold, the mrs is happy!!

Thanks for all the responses, just a quick update. I replaced the outside temp sensor with one from eBay and all is good now!!
A/c kicked into life and is lovely and cold, the mrs is happy!!
Hi Mark..so my a/c is not working 1.6d 16 plate..temp is reading degrees..can you tell me which relay is for the ac as I can't locate via manual or on-line..think I need to bypass to see if compressor is engaging.

Back