Off Topic Abarth 500 swap?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Abarth 500 swap?

Razman

The Renegade Master
I wonder if anybody ever considered trying to put the new abarth 1.4 turbo engine into a cinq? Sounds crazy I know, but bear with me here....

My reasoning is basically, if someone can manage to put a vauxhall 2L into a seicento any things possible! :D

Discuss.....

From what i undestand its like fitting a normal 16v but needs to ideally run a standalone ecu plus even more clearance issues due the the turbo other than that same mounts same driveshafts just a more complicated wiring (if you try to use 500 loom) or just go standalone and itl be alot easyier

thats not crazy talk, thats just logical progression - surely any petrolhead would come to the conclusion that a t-jet cento would be a good thing... And yes its been done, particularly in Poland.

I'm kinda of the opinion that there is little point starting with a actual t-jet. You can't use the manifold, it won't fit under a cento bonnet. Same for its oil cooling circuit, it will poke through the radiator on a cento. So really starting with a t-jet you paying for the internals and not having to mess with that. I would start with a normal 16v myself and either change the pistons to lower compression or fit a decomp plate to it. From there its like the same task as fitting a tjet. Custom manifold and inlet, custom exhaust and some aftermarket ecu.

Really i think you will be hard pushed to think of some mad idea that some crazy polish person hasn't done already.

Last edited:
Somewhere here there are a couple of revealing pics -- I think in one of Woj's posts. One of a manifold which places the turbo somewhere on top of the gearbox, one of a radiator in a frame which appears to be outside the shell (although I guess it would go behind the front bumper).

Problem with using the n/a 16v as a base are that the Abarth 500 gearbox is different (still chocolate, but stronger chocolate) and we don't know for sure just how different the engines are internally.

Somewhere here there are a couple of revealing pics -- I think in one of Woj's posts. One of a manifold which places the turbo somewhere on top of the gearbox, one of a radiator in a frame which appears to be outside the shell (although I guess it would go behind the front bumper).

Problem with using the n/a 16v as a base are that the Abarth 500 gearbox is different (still chocolate, but stronger chocolate) and we don't know for sure just how different the engines are internally.

Mmmm, forgot about the box, that is a jolly good point. Would love a more suitable set of ratios in my seiT, first gear really is pointless lol

boost solves all problems, period.

Damn right!

I can see the logic in that, obviously with more people having done it there'll be more resources and information on the subject. But I reeeaaally like the idea of a 1.4 turbo in my cinq! I know the 1.4 is work, but I'm always up for a challenge (y)

I've been reading up on the 1.4 seicento swap from the FAQ's, I'm guessing the t-jet would be a lot more difficult, but with a custom inlet and exhaust there must be ways around it right? ;)

I like turbocharged engine, but there is a problem:it's possible to use this big peak of power on a Cento? I think n/a good tuned engine is more funny than a T-jet. The Cento is verrrrry light. bye

I like turbocharged engine, but there is a problem:it's possible to use this big peak of power on a Cento? I think n/a good tuned engine is more funny than a T-jet. The Cento is verrrrry light. bye

The real trick is avoiding a boost spike, leading to horrible torque steer. Even with 115bhp my old Cinq turbo would do that. Really slowed you down in the wet.

Of course, the Abarth 500 has EPS, but either an LSD (should be readily available for the old Alfa box the Abarth 500 uses) or simply some means of delaying turbo spool up (which Ford seem to have done on the T5 engined cars) should do the trick (or most of it).

Yes, there is a point and you can tranfer this power, if you work hard on the rest of the car you get this:

Regarding t-jet internals, it is clear what the the differences are, I have seen a document stating that. But my memory does not serve me well, I would have to look it up again. In any case it is just a good base for 16V turbo project. If you get the whole engine you get tons of water and oil plumbing to play with (the most obvious win is the drain plug in the sump, that otherwise has to be manufactured, the other win is the cooling path for the turbo, it is not a straight conversion, but gets you the parts). But indeed manifold wise it is a pain, but so is any other turbo project (y)

More painful thing, at least for me, would be the transfer of the box from the abarth, this is not a straightforward job by far. See this gallery towards the end (also a nice video at the end):

https://picasaweb.google.com/116339863369631443975/EMU?noredirect=1

Back