General AARRG........oil on my drive.

Currently reading:
General AARRG........oil on my drive.

Morning Qubist All,

With the bad winter weather fast approaching, I thought discretion may be best served by having my two front tyres replaced, they were the original fitments, and had done just shy of 16,000 with another couple of thou left on them, but I thought extra tread better for the 'winter'.

So I popped into a local (small) tyre centre, very friendly, we sorted out which tyres to go for, and they were ordered for fitting the following day. When the car was jacked, minus its front N/S wheel, I noticed that the gaiter on the end of the steering rack looked wet, ran my fingers over it and they came away with red power steering oil on them.

When I got back home, checked my driveway, and sure enough, camouflaged by a stack of leaves, there was a nice little pool of oil.

I had a good look see, but there are no power steering pipes, e.t.c anywhere near the N/S gaiter, so a quick phone call to my dealer. Platts of Stafford, Excellent Service........Service Receptionist Chris.

Took the car over at the appointed time, it was checked and very quickly diagnosed as a failed steering rack...........expensive. Over £1000 to start, with discount off, it came out to £778.90............wow, all this the week before Christmas. It was suggested that I contact Fiat, as such a major component should not have failed after just 3 and a half years, and under 16,000 mile.

What had happened was a seal had failed on the power steering ram, which had allowed oil to escape into the steering rack, the rack had held the oil until full, then when the steering was worked, and the gaiter's compressed the oil had squired out in a fine jet.

I contacted Fiat, with not much hope, registered my case with them on Friday 14th Dec, they text me over the week-end saying they were working on the case and would be in contact. I was rung by them on the following Tuesday, to check what had happened and reassure me they were working towards a answer. They then contacted my dealer, who really pushed this matter, (Thats why its important to have a good relationship with your official Fiat Dealer).

On the 18th Dec, I was contacted by both Fiat, and my dealer............Fiat had agreed to foot 100% of the bill, parts/labour/v.a.t................wow.

Platts obtained the new rack, and the part was changed on Tuesday, should have been 3-4 hours labour, but to save me hanging on for so long the service dept put 2 tec's on the job, hence halving the time I spent waiting. They even washed the car before handing it back to me.

Since then I had a follow up call from Fiat yesterday, to confirm that I was happy, and to assure me that any other major faults which may occur, they would be prepared to assist............(none I hope).

One happy bunny..............

Take care Qube O.....:):D:):D:)(y)(y)

Back