500 (Classic) A lovely automatic Fiat 500 but a little confused with dualogic gearbox!

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) A lovely automatic Fiat 500 but a little confused with dualogic gearbox!

Elise1245

Hello everyone! I am a learner driver and new to the forum. I come bearing a few questions (which I may stagger across a few posts)! have just purchased a beautiful 2017 Fiat 500 automatic lounge dualogic which I am really pleased with.

I am/have been for several months been learning to drive in an automatic car with a driving instructor. The car, which is a Ford Focus, has a gearbox with the usual automatic driving options: P, N, D. I rarely use the N mode in the driving instructor’s car, and use the P mode for parking and securing the car. The instructor has never really explained the N mode and I don't use it in my lessons.

I purchased the Fiat 500 dualogic to practice in and use as my own car (once I pass!). The gearbox in the Fiat only has an N mode and not a P mode. Am I right to use the Fiat's N mode as I would normally use the P mode in my driving instructor’s car, essentially for parking? I know this seems like a silly question but I wonder why Fiat didn’t use a P or both a P and N on the gearbox? Would anyone be able to share their understanding of the N mode in the Fiat 500 dualogic?

Also, I was wondering if anyone who drives a 500 dualogic can share any other handy hints and information about driving this car for best performance (for those new to the Fiat 500 dualogic gearbox)?

Hi

The Duologic isn't like the Ford (that Fiesta is more traditional)

OK 🙂

Traditional P N D
Park : gearbox LOCKS.. wheels cannot turn

Neutral : Gearbox and Engine are Not connected, car can roll.. Engine can be revved

Drive, engine and Gearbox are linked
Revving engine increases wheel speed

Fiat system

There Is NO PARK, gearbox cannot 'lock' - car can roll
Neutral.. Engine and Gearbox disconnected.. Car can roll

Drive, WITH A COMPUTER CONTROLLED Clutch the engine and gearbox are linked

Last edited:
Thank you, I realise that! I didn't choose the Ford car (nothing wrong with it though) - I only learn in it! The Fiat I purchased is an automatic/semi-automatic and this is where I am hitting a few challenges as outlined. I am looking for advice and helpful hints on driving the Fiat automatic/dualogic so that I can better make the transition from my driving instructor's car to the Fiat 500.

Back