General a little help please!

Currently reading:
General a little help please!

sanham90

I'm ashamedly, new to the forum, i've had my fiat grande punto 06 1.2 petrol for just over a year, and now; only two weeks after my extended warranty ran out, having problems.

1) for the past three days my headlights haven't been working properly. I put on my main beam and only my side lights were coming on, eventually the headlights would kick in but only after 5 minutes or so.

I was planning to take it into the garage today until...

2) Parked up at work and took out my keys but my engine is still running, i revved the engine a couple of times make sure i wasn't hallucinating (i've never seen this before). i wasn't hallucinating so i tried putting my keys back in and then out a couple of times but to no avail, my engine wouldn't cut out. i drove it around the car park a couple of times with the keys in, after parking up it worked fine when i took the keys out.

3) got home this morning and asked my dad to take a quick look, but the car wouldnt start. all the elcetrics seem to be working with the exception of the headlight malfunction (above). we checked the fuse box and there was no mositure in there which were our intial thoughts.

we can get it started by bump starting it so i've took it to a fiat dealer. initial thoughts from them is fuse box and/or ignition fault.

anyone have any ideas to what might be the problem and how much its likely to cost to repair it??

cheers

Dan

I'd still opt at this stage for the fuse-box moisture... underneath where water can get in past the wheel-arch liner, particularly if a jetwash has been used.... and possibly water ingress into the rear of the headlamp cluster, check that the closing flaps are still in place under the wheel-arch. It may not be wet now but needs a good looking at rarther than a quick look. The water could have left behind oxidisation.

Last edited:
Back