Technical A guide for replacing a window regulator

Currently reading:
Technical A guide for replacing a window regulator

Fitting a replacement window regulator went smoothly for me, but there were a few surprises - the replacement part looked very different to the original, the motor was on the other side, and therefore a new plug (supplied) needed fitting to the car's wiring. Of course, the wiring colours don't match.

I've created a guide at https://www.fiatforum.com/500-guides/445978-fitting-replacement-window-regulator-gars2.html for anyone that's interested.

-Alex

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: UFI
Any idea which regulator was lighter?

The new regulator looks suspiciously like the Italian made 'Electric Life' p/w kits sold for street rods and the like.

Any idea which regulator was lighter?

The new regulator looks suspiciously like the Italian made 'Electric Life' p/w kits sold for street rods and the like.

I think the new regulator was lighter. It was a Magneti Marelli part and yes, probably the same as something else even though the application was only 'FIAT Cinquecento 2007 onwards'. I even contacted the supplier to check that the FIAT Cinequento didn't exist after 2007, so they meant 500 ;)

Upon opening it, I found suitably vague instructions including a photo of the original and the replacement, so they were aware of the differences. "Wire the plug according to the wiring diagram" was my favourite phrase - no diagram provided, of course.

-Alex

Last edited:
I remember when I replaced the window regulator on my old 500 thinking this can't be the right part. Only problem I had was that the speaker wires weren't long enough because of the position of the plug.

Spike

It's probably not identical to anything else, but it just looks like it came from the same parts bin.

'Cinquecento' is Italian for 500, so there's room for confusion.

I've got a 2012 car so I might have the newer regulators already, I had the door cards off not long ago, but didn't pay too much attention to the reg.

I remember when I replaced the window regulator on my old 500 thinking this can't be the right part. Only problem I had was that the speaker wires weren't long enough because of the position of the plug.

Speaker wires? Did you mean the window motor wires :)

The replacement plug supplied with the regulator has to be joined on, to extend the wires. I chose to solder but crimping with blue-size joiners would work. To avoid confusion about the different appearance of the part, that's why I thought a guide might be helpful.

-Alex

Last edited:
Back