Off Topic A Case for Snow Socks and True Grit!

Currently reading:
Off Topic A Case for Snow Socks and True Grit!

Mohojo

Early one bright Sunday morning last year we were on the way in our motorhome to meet up with some friends in Derbyshire for a walk. It had layed down about 6" of snow in the night. The main roads were fairly clear but the satnav decided to take us a little short cut whilst I wasn't paying attention ........we found ourselves going down a gently sloping road which was gradually narrowing. I considered turning back but didn't think that we would make it back up the slope let alone completing a 3 point turn in the snow banks at the sides of the road, so we continued. We were managing ok on the flat but I could see a slight right hander coming up with what looked like the beginnings of a hill ?. The road had seen a few cars (probably Landrovers) and was a mixture of hoar frost and packed snow. With grim determination I started to pick up some speed, gripping the wheel like it was my last tenner. As we rounded the bend the full enormity of it hit me....... a steep hill a good mile long! I gunned the engine on the Trannie in second gear, every now and then a driving wheel would spin out and I'd have to ease off the throttle to regain grip all the while loosing speed bit by bit. Eventually we ground to a halt. The wife said "I wouldn't have come this way" (with her usual knack of stating the bl**ding obvious)!
We were stopped a quarter the way up a steep hill on a narrow raod with snow and embankments on either side. At the bottom was the left hander and a river ?
I remember thinking that we had two hopes of getting out of the situation....... (No hope and Bob Hope).
Then I remembered my Snow Socks and praying that I hadn't taken them out during my last payload trim, I found them in the locker......... but would they work? I'd never used them but the Swedish girl on utube seemed to like them so I gave it a go. The hill was that steep I had to get the missus on the footbrake as she was beginning to slide backwards on the handbrake (the river awaited). I stretched the snow socks over each wheel and politely (I didn't want to scare her) asked the missus to ler her roll back half a turn.......
Back inside and I was looking at steep snow and ice for a good three quarters of a mile and I was thinking about Bob Hope. I set off on full left hand lock (to give us a chance in hell) and was amazed to find that they gripped the surface like it was a dry road! Only once did I get a wheel spin when we hit some black ice. To look at, the socks aren't much. Just a kind of woven textile with elastic trim to hold it on....... bit like a knitted spare wheel cover. They are so easy to put on and take off, take up little space and wiegh next to nothing. I've also bought a pair for the car and wouldn't leave home without them if there was any chance of snow.
As it turned out we only lost about 10 minutes and arrived in time to meet our friends.
Would I do it again? Yes but I'd put my socks on first!

This was pre fitment probably about 3 inches fresh fall, car wouldn't move. I could have dug it out but didn't..there was also times where I was in a car park full of stuck cars and just drove out.

With them on the only issues I had was the drag from the snow gave the clutch hard time if you were trying to move slowly (in my case a snow covered street not wanting to hit stuff either side). Also I did beach it on the front splitter once attempting to get through a drift but that was my own fault for getting greedy.

Attachments

• 2013-01-21 08.38.21.jpg
    2013-01-21 08.38.21.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
They seem like a minor miracle don't they. Upside is they are easy to fit and remove, downside is they are supposed to be used for short distances, just to get you going. I don't think they'll last long if used for a whole journey, unless it is all deep snow. Once the snow gets shallow or turns to slush, aren't they supposed to be taken off?

Benefit of winter tyres is that they stay on whatever the conditions.

A couple of winters ago I had the 'opportunity' to drive a Mercedes Sprinter panel van on 2" of untouched snow, on hills in narrow country lanes. Luckily, that company shoe all their vans with winter tyres all year round. It felt fine and did everything we needed it to, up and down hills and around slippery corners, no wheelspin despite being lightly loaded and rear wheel drive.

I'm thinking winter tyres as a first resort, with snowsocks as a backup only for really deep stuff.

It's horses for courses I only put mine on in deep snow then remove, although again unlike winters without studs they also work on sheet ice, something I tested on an Ill advised back road trip.

I'm of the opinion if conditions are bad, drive slower if you're stuck fit tyre socks.

Impressive. A guy was telling me that they use them on Fire Engines.
I was that pleased with mine I gave them a wask in our washing machine when I got back ?

Winter tyres will help alot yes
But when its deep - chains are the best option to claw the snow and grip

Snow socks work well in thoery - as they allow snow to grip snow = Some grip
often enough to get you going again!

tbh - not enough snow
Like a noobie back in my first year of driving - brought some snow chains
NEVER used them except test fits

Got winter tyres and as of yet - haven't let me down
Do like the Ease of snow socks tho - 30seconds per wheel vs 5mins per wheel
Ziggy

I've never used chains so can't compare but someone was telling me that certain resorts in the Alps prefer them as they are non aggressive and don't tear up the roads like chains do.

Back