Technical 80sx Column Switch

Currently reading:
Technical 80sx Column Switch

TommoW

Needing a column switch for my car, looking at some main places I wont be getting much change out of 200 notes.

Anyone know where I can get one for a decent price? Aside from scrap yards ofcourse.

Thanks.

Yeah, I looked on ebay theyre about £60 quid which is cheap I suppose, however I don't like buying parts from ebay less they're reccomended really.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just go to scrappies for one, usually they have the air bags already popped out, how difficult are they to take off seen as you've done one before.

I'm not that fantastic with cars and such, so will need some help with how to do it.

It's pretty straight-forward but a hassle:

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/photogal/guidepics/Stalkunitremoval.pdf

After you loosen the 24mm nut holding the steering wheel on, don't take it all the way off. It will keep you from hitting yourself in the face with the steering wheel when you yank it real hard to get it off. Don't ask me how I know this...

That guy also made a nice guide to fixing a busted stalk:

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/photogal/guidepics/stalkrepair.pdf

So if you have the time, maybe try that first to potentially save 60. But if it doesn't work you'll have to pull it all apart again. I think I didn't try that last time because it was also winter time and I didn't feel like freezing my a** off more than I needed to.

It's pretty straight-forward but a hassle:

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/photogal/guidepics/Stalkunitremoval.pdf

After you loosen the 24mm nut holding the steering wheel on, don't take it all the way off. It will keep you from hitting yourself in the face with the steering wheel when you yank it real hard to get it off. Don't ask me how I know this...

That guy also made a nice guide to fixing a busted stalk:

http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/photogal/guidepics/stalkrepair.pdf

So if you have the time, maybe try that first to potentially save 60. But if it doesn't work you'll have to pull it all apart again. I think I didn't try that last time because it was also winter time and I didn't feel like freezing my a** off more than I needed to.
Cheers mate, been a huge help to me with this.

I noticed the lads down the garage were flicking the dipped beams and main beams on, so, there is definitely a connection there somewhere. I think I herd him say ''We can buy pass it with...'' and that's all I could hear, in all honesty I wouldn't have minded him bodging it lol.

It's the rotating switch contacts. I think it gets worse if you leave the lights on all the time. I live in Norway and it's compulsory to drive with the lights on at all times. So I just leave them on, but I think perhaps regular switching on and off would keep the contacts clean better.

I'd happily settle for a bodge! As it is I've been driving around with just the fog lights on and it's dark here. Quite a drag.

It's the rotating switch contacts. I think it gets worse if you leave the lights on all the time. I live in Norway and it's compulsory to drive with the lights on at all times. So I just leave them on, but I think perhaps regular switching on and off would keep the contacts clean better.

I'd happily settle for a bodge! As it is I've been driving around with just the fog lights on and it's dark here. Quite a drag.
I'll be honest, I never normally turn my lights off by the stalk at the end if the night, so in the morning when I fire her up they come on, which wont have been good for it, I wont learn lol.

I'd drive with just the sides but the Police would absolutely **** me on it if they found out, I'll practise taking one off down the scrappies, looks like all I'll neeed is a screw-driver set and some hex keys, I really hope it's that white plastic connection.

For the record, does anyone know if ordering the ones from Latvia online are a good idea?

I bought some stuff for my Multipla from those Latvian eBay guys no problems.

The worst part about the stalk thing was buying a 24mm socket. What else am I ever going to use that for! Little did I know I'd need it again. I'll be really irritated if I can't find it now.

I recall there being some issue with the stalk I bought not being 100% the same, but I was able to swap some bits out from the old one to make it work. Some contact clips or something. So make sure to study the new one first to make sure it's the right one before fitting it only to find out plastic connectors are different or something.

I might try spraying a can of contact cleaner in there while switching on and off 200 times to see if that works.

That eBay listing is for the non-airbag one. Those guys also have the airbag one for 2x the price.

It's a pisser to have to buy that whole thing for a few crudded up contacts.

200 notes??? :eek::bang::bang::bang:

Scrappys for 20 quid...

A Marea unit has no wiper option for the rear and the Weekend has the rear wiper option and adjustable speeds for the front.

To change you need to disconnect the battery then remove the wheel (2x 5mm allen bolts for the airbag then the 24mm nut)

Shroud (5x phillips screws) and clockspring (3x phillips)

Unplug the stalks

Loosen the colar at the back (5mm hex)

Back