General 72' 500L Dash Switches???

Currently reading:
General 72' 500L Dash Switches???

jtrashy

Can someone tell me what the middle switch does?????
From left to right --- headlights--???--ignition--wipers
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 276
I think that you will find that the ???? switch is for the instrument panel illumination. These lights can only be switched on when the 'lights' switch is on. Your 'lights' switch initially only turns the side-lights on, the headlights are switched on by the column switch, which should also control whether you have your head-lights on 'low' or 'high' beam and, when only the side-lights are on, enables you to 'flash' your head-lamps (by pulling the switch towards you). This is how the lights work on a RHD car, I can see no logical reason as to why they would be any different on a LHD car.

I think the L will be wired as a late F which means that the nearest switch to the instrument cluster would originally have been for the instrument lamp. The second to the right would be the external lighting which when pressed down will illuminate whichever combination of lamps the large stalk is currently set on. Illogically to my thinking, the third to the right is the wiper-seitch....just an awkward stretch for me and the switch I use most. Switch 1 is almost pointless and I suspect is there to ensure that when you put on parking-lights, (ignition key turned to the left) you have the option not to leave the instruments illuminated

In diagrammatic form and as previously suggested, the switch in question is for the instrument cluster.

Stuart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190204-163214.jpg
    Screenshot_20190204-163214.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot_20190204-163244.jpg
    Screenshot_20190204-163244.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 331
Yes, instrument cluster (but as Hobbler has said, it only works when the external lights are already on). Mine didn’t work for a few years, until I reconditioned my dash with a new circuit board. It was a very exciting moment when I saw it light up for the first time!!

Back