Technical 600D Brake Adjust??

Currently reading:
Technical 600D Brake Adjust??

rsolito

I have a 1971 Seat 600D. Maybe only a few in the states. The rear wheel gets very hot after driving, I think it is the brakes. E-brake is all the way down. Any suggestions or help to adjust this?

Attachments

• 1971 SEAT 600D.jpg
    1971 SEAT 600D.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
I have a 1971 Seat 600D. Maybe only a few in the states. The rear wheel gets very hot after driving, I think it is the brakes. E-brake is all the way down. Any suggestions or help to adjust this?
I don't know if SEAT retained the same adjusting system as FIAT had on the 600 (although I can see no sensible reason why they should change it), but on the 600s rear brakes you will see a nut on both front and rear edges of the back plate--these are the adjusting nuts attached to the adjusters---you can use a ring spanner on them---push them UP to increase the distance between the shoe and the drum, and DOWN to decrease the clearance between the shoe and the drum. It sounds as if you may need to adjust the brakes by INCREASING the clearance---so push the spanner UP

I don't know if SEAT retained the same adjusting system as FIAT had on the 600 (although I can see no sensible reason why they should change it), but on the 600s rear brakes you will see a nut on both front and rear edges of the back plate--these are the adjusting nuts attached to the adjusters---you can use a ring spanner on them---push them UP to increase the distance between the shoe and the drum, and DOWN to decrease the clearance between the shoe and the drum. It sounds as if you may need to adjust the brakes by INCREASING the clearance---so push the spanner UP
The handbrake is adjusted by moving the 2 nuts on the threaded part of the handbrake cable, iether side of the retaining bracket, on the rear suspension. Extend the cable outer to make the handbrake 'tighter', shorten the cable outer to make the hand-btake 'looser' Both sides should be adjusted equally. Ther is also the chance that either the handbrake is overtightened on one side, or is 'hanging-on' because it is slightly siezed. Check ALL your linkage and make sure it is all moving freely.

As Hobbler says, brakes are most likely. Wheel bearings that are failing can also create heat due to the increased friction.

As Hobbler says, brakes are most likely. Wheel bearings that are failing can also create heat due to the increased friction.
Agreed, a failed wheel bearing will also causea heat build-up, but if it is THAT bad, it is normally accompanied with a noise. However, it would be wise to check for noise and play in the 'hot' side when the brakes are being checked.

The handbrake is adjusted by moving the 2 nuts on the threaded part of the handbrake cable, iether side of the retaining bracket, on the rear suspension. Extend the cable outer to make the handbrake 'tighter', shorten the cable outer to make the hand-btake 'looser' Both sides should be adjusted equally. Ther is also the chance that either the handbrake is overtightened on one side, or is 'hanging-on' because it is slightly siezed. Check ALL your linkage and make sure it is all moving freely.
I would also assume its the same as the Fiat. Thanks very much for the feedback!

Back