Technical 500x humming noise when lights are on

Currently reading:
Technical 500x humming noise when lights are on

Scanny2

When the lights are on there’s a noise coming from the front lights , I’m sure it’s the light levelling motor , the adjustment does work on both lights but both lights are making a noise which I thought was odd for both doing the same ,has anyone ever had that issue ,

If you have HIDs then it could be the high voltage inverter for the discharge tubes.

However I've not tried to listen to mine and it would be unusual for modern inverted technology to operate at audio frequencies.

Has it always done it or have you just noticed?

Another test is to see if the noise is present on all three level settings that the motor sets?

Just recently,it’s the wife’s car , pretty sure the noise increases on different levels and you can here it in the car ,also she said the car radio signal isn’t that good that’s only recently to just thought interference somehow , I’m not sure what’s the cause

Not sure what else to suggest. Looking simply at what you say then:

1) The motors (probably stepper) just drive an adjuster to move the light's up/down
2) They should be stopping when the relevant position is reached
3) If they are still running then why is the beam height not altering?
4) With 3) I assume you have tried to set level 1 (mid) and can confirm that mid remains set and then minutes later you can set level 0 (max) or 2 (min) and see the beam move?

If with 4) the beam does not move then I suspect the motors are driving to the up/down limits and not shutting off.

I've never investigate in detail how these adjustable beam height systems work.

Have you put a long handle flat blade screwdriver tip on the headlight bodies and the handle to your ear (mechanical stethoscope) to be actually sure the noise is from the headlamps?

The beam height does work , I have a stethoscope I take a look this morning thanks

The motors that adjust the beam height often buzz when they fail. The adjusters have a plastic rod with a ball on the end, that is wound in and out by the motor turning a small nylon gear wheel . The ball fits into a socket on the back of the reflector, so as the rod moves in and out, it pushes or pulls the reflector, and that changes the beam height.

If the rod jams, or the pin on the nylon gear wheel gets stiff etc. the motor strips the teeth on the wheel, so the wheel can no longer turn, so the rod no longer moves and the beam no longer adjusts. The motor keeps turning (buzzing) because the rod is in the "wrong" place and not moving.. so it keeps trying to wind it in/out. Eventually the motor burns out and the noise stops.

On the other hand.. to have this scenario, the beam adjusters must be not working.. since if they're working they will arrive at the selected position and then the motors would stop winding. It's also peculiar to have two motors go wrong at precisely the same time, so my guess is that your beam adjusters are fine.

Does the car have LED or HID headlamps, or regular halogen bulbs? If it's the former then those have a transformer or inverter which could be making the noise. If you disconnect the big plug on the back of the headlamps, does the noise stop or continue? Is the noise coming from the headlamp itself, or from the vicinity (something mounted next to it)?

Ralf S.

This bulb was the cause I’d never seen one like it to be fair . Just put the standard bulb back problem. Solved thanks

Attachments

• 95F4A9E0-29E0-4536-92FD-6DCA042FAE6D.jpeg
    95F4A9E0-29E0-4536-92FD-6DCA042FAE6D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
To be fair yea she come back wearing clothes from the 1980s lol , cheap Chinese rubbish , thanks for your help 👍

Back