Technical Fiat 500X vibrating when driving

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500X vibrating when driving

petermolbech

Hello out there
I have a Fiat 500X 1.4 liter with duel clutch transmission that is vibrating when driving. Is comes in various strengths and feels like the wheels /one wheel are a oval. I usually start feeling it around 50 KM/H but it doesnt seem to be there contantly. It follows the rotation of the wheels and when it is there, is stays regardless of what gear im in and it's also when in neutral.
I think it came after i bumbed into the curb and puntured the right fromt tire. I have had the following changed:

Tires
wheels
drive shafts in both sides
new wheel bearings
support arms (not sure the translation is right?!)

Nothing has helped and it is driving me crazy!

Has anyone tried someting similar - all good inputs are much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Peter

When you changed the driveshaft, did you replace the whole thing (including both CV joints) or just the shaft?

The inner CV joint is a tripoid spider with needle-bearing supported planetary rings that fit inside a cup. You could have damaged one of the rings... although whoever changed the driveshaft must have been able to see it, since all the needle bearings would have fallen out.
But if your mechanic fitted a new shaft and tripoid, they may not have checked inside the cup for damage to the inner cup face. It's full of grease so you can only do it by feeling the inner walls to make sure there's no lumps of metal missing... just the three machined grooves for the spider.

There is a balancer weight on the driveshaft.. so check that's not gone missing.

The wheels were definitely balanced and the steering alignment re-set?

Check the gearbox mount under the car (behind the sump, next to the exhaust) as that might have taken a bash.

Otherwise.. also have a look at the roll bar drop links, track rod ends and the shock absorber and spring. Any of those might have been also damaged.

Ralf S.

Back