Technical 500R v 500F Dash Metal Panel Differences

Currently reading:
Technical 500R v 500F Dash Metal Panel Differences

I'm about to start a restoartion on a 500R (LHD). The dash panel needs to be replaced. Unfortunately these 500R panels seem to be incredibly expensive (~£260), however, the 500F panel is a bit cheaper (~£200).

The only apparent difference I can see from looking at as many photos as I can find is an additional hole to the right of the instrument cluster that is present for 500F but not present for 500R.

Does anybody know if these panels are entirely identical apart from this additional hole? (I can weld the hole up if this is the case).

500F Panel:-
500F Dash Panel.JPG

500R Panel:-
500R Dash Panel.JPG

Thanks

Ray

I'm about to start a restoartion on a 500R (LHD). The dash panel needs to be replaced. Unfortunately these 500R panels seem to be incredibly expensive (~£260), however, the 500F panel is a bit cheaper (~£200).

The only apparent difference I can see from looking at as many photos as I can find is an additional hole to the right of the instrument cluster that is present for 500F but not present for 500R.

Does anybody know if these panels are entirely identical apart from this additional hole? (I can weld the hole up if this is the case).

500F Panel:-
View attachment 430026

500R Panel:-
View attachment 430027

Thanks

Ray

The additional hole is for the unnecessary switch for the internal light of the speedometer; it looks like Fiat recognised the superfluous nature of that switch. I can't confirm, but I would put money on it, that this is the only difference.

I would retain that hole depite it not being original. You could fit an original switch or light in the hole and use it for another purpose. On my car it operates an intermittent-wiper system.

The later "F"s and, (I suspect), the "R"s didn't even use the large, central hole because the ignition switch was transferred to the side of the steering column, which allowed a lock to be fitted; the hole was closed with a blanking-plate.

I hardwired my speedo lights to come on whenever my lights were on and repurposed the hole for a hazard light switch. Highly recommended.

Here's the How To post link if you're interested (Mod team: tried to edit the title to include "how to" but I think it's too old)

Last edited:
The additional hole is for the unnecessary switch for the internal light of the speedometer; it looks like Fiat recognised the superfluous nature of that switch. I can't confirm, but I would put money on it, that this is the only difference.

I would retain that hole depite it not being original. You could fit an original switch or light in the hole and use it for another purpose. On my car it operates an intermittent-wiper system.

The later "F"s and, (I suspect), the "R"s didn't even use the large, central hole because the ignition switch was transferred to the side of the steering column, which allowed a lock to be fitted; the hole was closed with a blanking-plate.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead with the F dash panel then. Welding a little hole up is nothing in scheme of things when the bodyshell currently looks like this and is getting smaller and lighter every day until it goes for shotblasting...
processed-F72FB67C-7A73-42C4-97C4-FB179DCEE35E-3E298AF1-7904-4FEA-9B11-F2B3F591E7D1.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead with the F dash panel then. Welding a little hole up is nothing in scheme of things when the bodyshell currently looks like this and is getting smaller and lighter every day until it goes for shotblasting...View attachment 430108

When I was less aware of these things I once welded over the central hole where the early models have the ignition lock. Being used to the later cars that have a column-switch, I assumed that someone had retrofitted a switch or light and I wanted it original. That car is still around and I bet it still sports the de-holed dash-panel.

That's a deep restoration that you're bravely facing; I love the bracing-frame. I think we deserve a big write-up and more photos. ;)

Back