General 500e Claimed Range

Currently reading:
General 500e Claimed Range

Good morning, I do indeed feel that the car should indicate 199 miles when fully charged. I am abundantly aware that there are many factors which will influence the actual mileage achieved, but I rather foolishly presumed that 199 would be the optimum starting point.
I run a Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo here in The UK, and it does at least show the manufacturers maximum claimed mileage range when fully charged. I have also run a Jaguar I-Pace in America since 2019, which also indicates the manufacturers claimed mileage range when fully charged. Both vehicles only achieve between 88% and 90% of the claimed maximum driving range, but I find this acceptable.
I think it is all a matter of presentation. Porsche and Jaguar choose to display the quoted range on the GoM when fully charged. I assume they then decrement the value at a higher rate than that suggested by the power consumed, to achieve more realistic values as the journey progresses. It would be interesting if you were able to compare the reduction in GoM readings to the trip change in SoC and the average m/kWh. to see if this, indeed, is the case.

I think it is all a matter of presentation. Porsche and Jaguar choose to display the quoted range on the GoM when fully charged. I assume they then decrement the value at a higher rate than that suggested by the power consumed, to achieve more realistic values as the journey progresses. It would be interesting if you were able to compare the reduction in GoM readings to the trip change in SoC and the average m/kWh. to see if this, indeed, is the case.
Good afternoon Ian, I am fundamentally a simple soul, so when I read on manufacturers publicity a maximum range of 199 miles, I use that as my starting point. Fiat state up to a maximum of 199 miles, yet the actual delivery is 145 miles. To me, this falls outside of acceptable parameters for exaggeration. Furthermore, I have not heard of any UK based Fiat 500 EV owner who have ever seen a display of 199 miles on the projected range.
If the actual maximum range is 161 miles, they should tell the truth and allow purchasers to make a well informed purchasing decision. In truth, if our Fiat showed 199 miles, but only achieved 160 miles, this would at least fall within the range of delivery from other manufacturers ( although my Porsche and Jaguar both do rather better ). Fiat are only doing themselves a disservice by being so economic with the truth.

Hello 911tj,

I think you missed the photo posted by gaz_bee (post #77) showing 206 miles on his GoM. If another car's GoM shows less, it is because the GoM's algorithm has reason to suppose that the lesser figure is valid. That is, in my view, more honest than always showing the WLTP range without regard to current conditions and previous usage. The GoM is intended to provide the driver with an estimate, not an advertising value.

Btw, when you read 161 miles on your GoM, what mode was the car in? It needs to be in Sherpa Mode to show the "best" estimate.

@gaz_bee: Impressive, 206 miles on the GoM. Do you know what m/kWh you achieved?

I noticed you were in Sherpa Mode, so I got into my car and checked. Currently my SoC is 98%, and the GoM shows 151 in Normal, 157 in Range, and 174 in Sherpa. ( I should have realised, as my KIA offers similarly modified data in the menu, for two cases, and I always use the Sherpa equivalent in my records.)

Based on that, if 911jd's 161 was in Normal Mode, you'd expect to see 186 miles in Sherpa.
Last summer we had a sweet spot of ambient air temperature for optimal battery charging which was more the reason for the 206 miles displayed than my driving economy. However, I can easily reach 4.2miles/kWh in urban driving which puts me about the 160 mile range around town and suspect with more planned hypermiling techniques I could significantly better this. The car has been doing a lot of national speed limit dual carriageway and B roads recently so is down to an average of 3.7miles/kWh - economy definitely tails off above 50mph.

Hello 911tj,

I think you missed the photo posted by gaz_bee (post #77) showing 206 miles on his GoM. If another car's GoM shows less, it is because the GoM's algorithm has reason to suppose that the lesser figure is valid. That is, in my view, more honest than always showing the WLTP range without regard to current conditions and previous usage. The GoM is intended to provide the driver with an estimate, not an advertising value.

Btw, when you read 161 miles on your GoM, what mode was the car in? It needs to be in Sherpa Mode to show the "best" estimate.
Good afternoon Ian, I regret to say that I have no idea what a GoM is ? I am also blissfully unaware of what the Sherpa mode is. I am confident that the WTLP range is calculated under perfect conditions, and I have no expectation of ever achieving those dizzy heights. My expectation is that my car will show the WTLP when fully charged, but achieve somewhere between 80-90% of this figure under normal driving conditions. I have never had to change modes on either of my other EVs in order to achieve what I would regard as fairly realistic expectations. Perhaps I need to attend some kind of advanced Fiat EV owners course, but it does all sound somewhat unnecessarily complicated. Thank you for your response. Whilst I do not fully understand it, I do appreciate it.

The GoM is a "popular" name given to the estimation of range displayed on the instrument panel. It stands for GuessoMeter, which emphasises that it is not an immutable number, but a guide to the driver. ICE vehicle fuel guages are not calibrated in miles, for the same reason.

Most people seem to agree that the FIAT 500 Owners Manual is not the best-written, but there is good reason to read the bit from Page 18-on which describes the three modes you can operate the car in. If your range is of concern, you should select Sherpa Mode, which does not operate power-hungry services by default, although you can switch them on yourself if you need them.

Last edited:
The GoM is a "popular" name given to the estimation of range displayed on the instrument panel. It stands for GuessoMeter, which emphasises that it is not an immutable number, but a guide to the driver. ICE vehicle fuel guages are not calibrated in miles, for the same reason.

Most people seem to agree that the FIAT 500 Owners Manual is not the best-written, but there is good reason to read the bit from Page 18-on which describes the three modes you can operate the car in. If your range is of concern, you should select Sherpa Mode, which does not operate power-hungry services by default, although you can switch them on yourself if you need them.
Good afternoon Ian, the Guessometer ? That really is amusing, and perhaps somewhat indicative of the amount of science involved in range predictions. I will take a look at page 18 to establish if the benefits of Sherpa mode outweigh any sacrifices to comfort or convenience.
Thank you again for taking the time to respond and for enlightening me regarding certain pieces of EV parlance.

Back