Technical 500c twinair clutch

Currently reading:
Technical 500c twinair clutch

8netherfield

Hi folks,
1st post regarding my wife's 64 plate 500c.
Started to have problems with gear selection and suspect new clutch required.
Had a couple of quotes from local garages who have contradicted each other with the flywheel.
One says solid and very unlikely it will need replaced, the other says dual mass and should be replaced. Bout £400 difference in cost and obviously prefer the cheaper quote but hoping someone can confirm who is correct please.
Cheers
Steve

Some twin airs have a dmf some don't

It seems to be be the higher power version of the engine that has the dmf from what I've seen around the forum

What horsepower version is yours?

Some twin airs have a dmf some don't

It seems to be be the higher power version of the engine that has the dmf from what I've seen around the forum

What horsepower version is yours?
Hi Chris, I'm not sure, how would I check ?
We bought it about 8 years ago, will it be on the V5 ?

Hi Chris, I'm not sure, how would I check ?
We bought it about 8 years ago, will it be on the V5 ?

The Euro6 engines all have it I believe, that’s normally anything from 13/63 plate one.

Think the 105hp ones all have it too
Hi,
V5 says its the lower power 62kw (85bhp) engine, but its a 64 plate so possibly does have a dmf.

If it does have a dmf fitted, what's thoughts on just changing clutch and not the dmf ?

Get it done, sod’s law say it’ll go within weeks of having the clutch done - can’t say for certain, but I’ve heard that the dmf doesn’t fail in the traditional way, the centre bearing goes which I believe is plastic whereas replacements aren’t.

Commonly the symptom of failed dmf is struggling to engage gears.

What sort of mileage has the car done by the way?

Get it done, sod’s law say it’ll go within weeks of having the clutch done - can’t say for certain, but I’ve heard that the dmf doesn’t fail in the traditional way, the centre bearing goes which I believe is plastic whereas replacements aren’t.

Commonly the symptom of failed dmf is struggling to engage gears.

What sort of mileage has the car done by the way?
Only done 42000, it's booked into local garage for diagnosis, guy says it could even be gear selector cables or hydraulic problem

Hi John, yes seems to be fine. Does this indicate its not cables at fault ?
Steve
Generally yes, if the clutch or its operation is compromised then you'll have issues selecting gears, it's well known that the hydraulics aren't great look here first replacing the fluid may help though it might be a temporary fix, if it does fix it(temporary) then replace the slave and master

If it does have a DMF, and there is even the slightest sign of DMF wear, then change it when you do the clutch. If the car's done more than 50k, then consider changing it anyway. That seems to be the mileage at which DMF failures start to be reported here.

Clearances are very tight and a failing DMF can cause considerable collateral damage. There have been several horror stories on this forum regarding the cost of rectifying such damage.

DMF life expectancy may be affected by driving style; a search on the internet on this subject may give some food for thought.

Last edited:
Back