General 500C Twinair Tenth Birthday

Currently reading:
General 500C Twinair Tenth Birthday

Piccolo Nero e Bella

Prominent member
šŸ¾My little black Lounge Twinair Cabrio has now been with me for ten years since new in July 2013. It was the last manual Lounge available locally at the time I bought it and It was relatively (very) expensive for small city car, FIAT being marketed as a ā€œprestigeā€ brand in Australia at the time (as are all Europeans it seems) and it included leather and sill trims etc. in the limited ā€˜Twinairā€™-badged edition. I donā€™t know how much Iā€™ve spent on accessories in the decade since; sub-woofer, car-bra and covers, chrome bits and pieces, wire grille, armrest and a host of others from all over the world, but it must run into thousandsšŸ¤«.

Itā€™s now clocked up 21,600 miles. Repairs have been limited to fixing a clutch fluid leak within weeks of delivery, replacement of the dud OEM battery, new boot handle (two) and a new rear FIAT badge, all under warranty. Outside of warranty a new expansion tank and the correct EFB battery were fitted in 2017 and the boot lid was rewired in 2019. Being garaged, regularly serviced and running on 98RON fuel all its life the car's been completely reliable and is still on its original tyres and brakes, though both are due for replacement soon.

I have to admit I purchased the 500C with some trepidation:unsure:, having never owned anything but ultra-reliable Mazdaā€™s since 1971 and in defiance of FIATā€™s poor past reputation downunder, but itā€™s turned out to be very dependable and, probably due to the climate here, has none of the corrosion problems that plague those in the UK. The fabric roof still looks new and, despite being opened and closed a thousand times and more, functions smoothly. Even the Stop/Start system works to spec, though itā€™s usually switched off these days.:cool:

Most importantly itā€™s been a hoot to drive and still manages to put a smile on my face every time I get it out for a run, flicking through the gears and listening to that Twinair growl. And of course it looks beautiful!ā£ļø

Iā€™d like to thank the FIAT Forum and its members for helping me to learn the foibles of FIAT and giving me, very occasionally, the chance to help others.

Michael

Attachments

• DSC01703.JPG
    DSC01703.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 90
  • DSC01706.JPG
    DSC01706.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 67
  • DSC01696.JPG
    DSC01696.JPG
    8 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC01710.JPG
    DSC01710.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Looks amazing you can tell its garaged by the paint and headlights could last a long time if serviced "more than recommend "
Cheers John; I get it serviced every 12 months but I only average about 1200 miles a year now so even that is probably overdoing it. Worst enemy here is the intense UV on the paint and plastics as you suggest, not to mention the fabric top, so I'm fortunate I can keep it under cover.

Of course the most important accessory is on the back window...;)
DSC_0031.JPG

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous šŸ˜ and in pristine conditionā€¦. A credit to a fellow 500 lover! I have to admit I dread to think how much Iā€™ve spent on my Gucci ā€¦.. but it was all in the aid of prep for the future ā€¦. Sheā€™s 13 now and giving me stress free driving ā€¦ of course the corrosion control is a stress but itā€™s what we have to do in the UK šŸ¤£

Absolutely gorgeous šŸ˜ and in pristine conditionā€¦. A credit to a fellow 500 lover! I have to admit I dread to think how much Iā€™ve spent on my Gucci ā€¦.. but it was all in the aid of prep for the future ā€¦. Sheā€™s 13 now and giving me stress free driving ā€¦ of course the corrosion control is a stress but itā€™s what we have to do in the UK šŸ¤£
Thanks Baglady, nice to hear from you again. Your own journey was an inspiration(y) - all I did was buy new and try to keep it that way in a much kinder environment. I didn't realize your's was a 2010, the Gucci was sold here in 2013. I'd dearly love to put a double-din Sony head unit in it similar to yours but can't justify it on grounds of the short time I spend driving... (I should do it anyway...!šŸ˜›).

Thanks Baglady, nice to hear from you again. Your own journey was an inspiration(y) - all I did was buy new and try to keep it that way in a much kinder environment. I didn't realize your's was a 2010, the Gucci was sold here in 2013. I'd dearly love to put a double-din Sony head unit in it similar to yours but can't justify it on grounds of the short time I spend driving... (I should do it anyway...!šŸ˜›).
Maybe if you fit the stereo you might drive a bit more šŸ˜† sheā€™s a 2011 did I get her age wrong šŸ˜‘ šŸ¤Ø yes Iā€™m back! Had a bit of personal turmoil but my little Gucci isnā€™t included in that thankfully šŸ˜…

Maybe if you fit the stereo you might drive a bit more šŸ˜† sheā€™s a 2011 did I get her age wrong šŸ˜‘ šŸ¤Ø yes Iā€™m back! Had a bit of personal turmoil but my little Gucci isnā€™t included in that thankfully šŸ˜…
Good to have you back. You may have something there, a new stereo might be just the thing to entice me to drive a bit more. Of course I might be sleeping in the car if the missus finds out...!:giggle:

Good to have you back. You may have something there, a new stereo might be just the thing to entice me to drive a bit more. Of course I might be sleeping in the car if the missus finds out...!:giggle:
So you seem to use the car just for driving pleasure? Add a new head unit, 5 ch amplifier 10" sub in the boot new front speakers and act like a adult(hooligan) šŸ™‚ I've got 350w rms in my old Mazda just like when I was 25, actually my speakers ARE the ones from 1992 that cost me then Ā£600 for 5 speakers just goes to show respect them buy really good quality and they're still good 30+ years later

So you seem to use the car just for driving pleasure? Add a new head unit, 5 ch amplifier 10" sub in the boot new front speakers and act like a adult(hooligan) šŸ™‚ I've got 350w rms in my old Mazda just like when I was 25, actually my speakers ARE the ones from 1992 that cost me then Ā£600 for 5 speakers just goes to show respect them buy really good quality and they're still good 30+ years later
Inasmuch as every opportunity to get the car out is a pleasure. Since I retired I no longer have the daily slog of the commute so it's just used for social purposes now; visiting friends, club meetings etc. I still enjoy a drive but when you're in such a small car the proliferation of hulking SUV's and utes these days, not to mention incompetent drivers, has sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

Yeah, buy quality; agree every time - you've done well with the speakers. My 1988 Pioneer setup in the lounge still thunders out the Metal (when I'm home alone) as powerfully as any comparable new stereo. The DAT input (remember them?) is connected to a Bluetooth receiver so it's bang up to date for connecting phones or tablets.

Ordered new tyres today so any stereo update will have to be delayed. Choices, as ever downunder, were limited so I've gone for Dunlop SP Sport FM800.

Last edited:
Inasmuch as every opportunity to get the car out is a pleasure. Since I retired I no longer have the daily slog of the commute so it's just used for social purposes now; visiting friends, club meetings etc. I still enjoy a drive but when you're in such a small car the proliferation of hulking SUV's and utes these days, not to mention incompetent drivers, has sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

Yeah, buy quality; agree every time - you've done well with the speakers. My 1988 Pioneer setup in the lounge still thunders out the Metal (when I'm home alone) as powerfully as any comparable new stereo. The DAT input (remember them?) is connected to a Bluetooth receiver so it's bang up to date for connecting phones or tablets.

Ordered new tyres today so any stereo update will have to be delayed. Choices, as ever downunder, were limited so I've gone for Dunlop SP Sport FM800.
Nice to see youā€™re still on here and your car is still going strong, I can remember when you got it. My TA is 2014 and turns 10 in Jan next, current mileage 77k miles and still going strong although suspension needs some work.

Nice to see youā€™re still on here and your car is still going strong, I can remember when you got it. My TA is 2014 and turns 10 in Jan next, current mileage 77k miles and still going strong although suspension needs some work.
Thanks Mercky; likewise.(y) These engines seem to be solid little units. With over three times my mileage you're doing well.

Got the new rubber on mine today so tomorrow I'll take it on the usual Thursday jaunt and see if it feels any different on Dunlop's...šŸ

Nice story; we could do with a few more threads like this!

And thanks for the pictures.

Worst enemy here is the intense UV on the paint and plastics as you suggest, not to mention the fabric top, so I'm fortunate I can keep it under cover.
Pretty much essential if you want to protect the finish long term.

Even in the UK sun, we've seen reports of peeling clearcoat on cars >10 years old.

Thanks in turn for your kind words JR.(y) Nice to be able to inject a bit of good news into the forum these days.

The new tyres have made a difference (Obviously, DuhhhhšŸ˜‰). I think they're quieter than the Potenza's but I couldn't swear to it as I usually have the Metal so loud I can't hear them...! Haven't tried them in the wet of course because that would mean getting the car dirty(!) but they're bound to be an improvement after the well-worn Bridgies. Despite my warning the tyre place managed to break one of the plastic hub trims - however they've sourced a replacement for me gratis so I can't complain. :cool:

Just one more photo...
DSC_0011a.jpg

Last edited:
Back