Technical 500c roof stuck in open position

Currently reading:
Technical 500c roof stuck in open position

Looking for the collectives guidance please....

500c roof opens....fully.... then tries to close via cabin panel switch but sticks and defaults to fully open....roof close switch then becomes inoperable. Only way to remedy is to switch vehicle off and use boot/trunk opening handle to force roof close to spoiler position, then switch car back on and the roof close switch will close the roof as normal.

Have tonight replaced the dreaded boot wiring loom which was brittle and cracked in the belief that that would solve matters....but no. Checked wiring then up the c pillars for defects and found nothing untoward....

Any thoughts....sensors or ?

TIA

Have you tried a reset/relearn :

Try these steps with the ignition on, or the engine running. The car should be in park/neutral.

Starting with the roof closed, hold the open button until the roof opens all the way over the rear window - plus an extra 3 to 5 seconds.

Release the roof open button.

Hold the close button until the roof has closed all the way and keep the button pushed for an extra 3 to 5 seconds.

Release the close button.

The roof should then open and then close to the sunroof position by itself (don't push any buttons while this is happening).

Hopefully this works and the roof opens/closes to its pre-set positions once again.

It only takes a few minutes and costs nothing, so worth a try [emoji1360]

500c roof opens....fully.... then tries to close via cabin panel switch but sticks and defaults to fully open....roof close switch then becomes inoperable. Only way to remedy is to switch vehicle off and use boot/trunk opening handle to force roof close to spoiler position, then switch car back on and the roof close switch will close the roof as normal.

Have tonight replaced the dreaded boot wiring loom which was brittle and cracked in the belief that that would solve matters....but no. Checked wiring then up the c pillars for defects and found nothing untoward....

TIA

The roof initialization clears most problems associated with opening and closing the roof but that's one I've never heard before. There are no sensors; the initialization basically teaches the control module the limits of travel and it follows a preset programme from there.

Here's the 500C roof manual page;

Attachments

• FIAT 500C Softtop Initialisation.jpg
    FIAT 500C Softtop Initialisation.jpg
    831.3 KB · Views: 157
The roof initialization clears most problems associated with opening and closing the roof but that's one I've never heard before. There are no sensors; the initialization basically teaches the control module the limits of travel and it follows a preset programme from there.

Here's the 500C roof manual page;

Thanks , I have tried this reset but it just does not work for me..... I can get to the point where roof is fully open...hold for the required time, then start the closure process....but half way up the back panel, it stops and drops back to fully open...the only way I can then get it to function is via the boot opening micro switch option which gets it then to spoiler position.........mare!

I checked mine today. If I press the 'Open' button while it's in the spoiler position it starts to fold down but if either button's pressed before it reaches the bottom it stops and returns to the spoiler position. Similarly, if it's fully down and the the 'Close' switch is pressed it starts up, but a press of either button before it reaches the top sends it back down - as yours is apparently doing.

Yours is obviously not jamming as it works properly with the boot release so I'm wondering if the fault lies with the switches or even the control module. Sorry I can't be much help.

Merry Christmas anyway.

I checked mine today. If I press the 'Open' button while it's in the spoiler position it starts to fold down but if either button's pressed before it reaches the bottom it stops and returns to the spoiler position. Similarly, if it's fully down and the the 'Close' switch is pressed it starts up, but a press of either button before it reaches the top sends it back down - as yours is apparently doing.

Yours is obviously not jamming as it works properly with the boot release so I'm wondering if the fault lies with the switches or even the control module. Sorry I can't be much help.

Merry Christmas anyway.

Thanks for your help and advice.... any and everything considered as I attempt to resolve this issue :)

Does the reset process work for you in the way that it reads and I understand? Press and hold opening button and it goes from closed to fully open, by passing spoiler position? Once fully open..Hold for 5 secs in fully open position.... then hold and press close button and it goes all the way back to fully closed position, again by passing spoiler position ....then car does it all automatically open/close to confirm reset? TIA

Yes, exactly as described. I've only ever needed to do it twice; first time was after the roof briefly jammed when I forgot I had the roof-bars on and attempted to open it - I don't remember what occasioned the second use of the initialization.

I keep the buttons pressed for only an additional two seconds as per the manual but that shouldn't make any difference.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour? Long shot but it apparently cures some odd behaviours in these cars.

TIA
Hello

have exactly the same problem... did you manage to solve it?

Thank you

Might be worth opening it fully and running a dry lubricant generously along the tracks before trying to re-close it fully, then run the initialization procedure as above.
Yes, first think is use lub to (runningway) and second want to initiliazation proces. (will try)
But think is - if i open boot, roof work properly 100% to spoiler mode (problem is only when try to close normaly)

(thank you :) )

Yes, first think is use lub to (runningway) and second want to initiliazation proces. (will try)
But think is - if i open boot, roof work properly 100% to spoiler mode (problem is only when try to close normaly)

(thank you :) )
So if you press the boot release (on the handle or the key fob) while the roof is completely open it closes normally? That suggests that maybe the boot wiring to the body is faulty. If the car is pre-2013 (with the shorter cable) I would definitely get the wiring checked. A 2013 or later car should have the longer boot cable which is less likely to fracture.

Ahoj, kabeláž vyzerá v poriadku (všetky svetlá a spínač kufra fungujú správne)

1. Drážky sú namazané.
Jedinou chybou je, že niekedy sa strecha nezatvára z otvorenej do polohy spojlera, niekedy áno.

Opíšem situáciu, zatvorím (ale v procese od úplného otvorenia po spojler sa zastaví a vráti sa do otvorenej polohy)
Ďalší pokus je možné vykonať po (vypnutí kľúča, alebo časový interval 40-60 sekúnd) a potom strecha prešla z úplne otvorenej polohy do polohy spojlera bez problémov

Medzi tými pokusmi ubehlo asi 40-60 sekúnd a absolútne nič sa nezmenilo, takže som nerobil vôbec nič...

2. Zároveň som sa pýtal, ako vykonať spomínanú inicializáciu, keď pri podržaní tlačidla na otváranie strechy sa spojler vždy zastaví v polohe, potom musím tlačidlo znova stlačiť, aby prešlo do plného otvorená poloha (podľa návodu viem, že je to správny spôsob, ale vzhľadom na vyššie uvedené nie je možné inicializovať podľa návodu - tj držať tlačidlo, kým sa strecha úplne neotvorí)

Ďakujem za snahu pomôcť
Takže ak stlačíte uvoľnenie kufra (na kľučke alebo kľúčenke), keď je strecha úplne otvorená, zatvorí sa normálne? To naznačuje, že kabeláž batožinového priestoru ku karosérii je pravdepodobne chybná. Ak je auto staršie ako 2013 (s kratším káblom), určite by som si dal skontrolovať kabeláž. Vozidlo z roku 2013 alebo novšie by malo mať dlhší batožinový kábel, pri ktorom je menšia pravdepodobnosť prasknutia.

Regret I can't offer any other ideas - good luck.
I have seen this problem with several users, even right here on the forum - even a user wrote it on a new vehicle. I assume that it is not a mechanical problem, but I am sorry that the user who solves the problem does not write how :(

I'll try disconnecting the battery and see if this type of "reset" helps

Back