General 500 Twin Air 900cc coming?

Currently reading:
General 500 Twin Air 900cc coming?

If you honestly think that's anything near normal then I do worry about you. My 500 gets driven on the same sorts of roads as yours and to be fair it's only a 1.2 but I've done just under 12k miles and there is still about 6-7mm left on the summer tyres and 7-8mm left on the winter tyres.
No of course i don't think it's normal, but i also respect the fact that people have different driving techniques/habits and abilities and ultimately, it's at the owners discretion how the car they own should be driven. When conditions permit, go for it! Those who want to drive slow, let those who want to drive fast past :)

I'll have it in Sport, in the new Azure blue and with the black ambiance thank you.

All I want in the way of features are A/C (not climate), central locking and split rear seats. Oh, and a proper spare.

But I'm not in the market anyway so this is just fantasy.

I provisionally ordered mine (subject to driving and price) with exactly the same spec as my current car but with the addition of black leather and interscope. The dealer is going to call me as soon as their first demo arrives in September and is letting me have it for a few hours to evaluate.

I am hoping that disc brakes all round (a la 1.4) will be standard and also ESP but will stick to BNW unless another colour really takes the wife's fancy and also the 421 wheels unless there is a new style available that looks really good.

As much testing as Fiat have done it's nothing till the technology has been out there in people's cars for a good year or two with a good reputation.

This. There will inevitably be initial problems with it.

I suspect the whole thing will be a bit like the early start'n'stop models- optional at first (whether you like it or not, that was to give them chance to field test the tech thoroughly before universal roll at) and then it'll replace all the standard engines. God only knows what the price will have done by then.

I think the comparison to start 'n' stop is a valid one. I'm still not sure about ordering my putative 500 with it even today, given that there still seem to be significant problems with it.

In my humble opinion (and as a child who was ferried around by his parents in a Mirafiori that was more rust than car), Fiat has come on a long way in beating its perceived quality problems, but I do see it as a bit of a gamble to be one of the first to own this engine even if it is closely related to the existing Multiair.

I really am not trying to knock Fiat but I just looked on the JD Power Survey results on What Car - overall Fiat was 26th out of 27. It doesn't really instill confidence....

Yes, but in the German quality survey Fiat comes third, ahead of VW for example. They look more at mechanical problems and breakdowns, and not at small trim glitches or the dealership and customer service situation. It is this latter which damages Fiat here.

The new twin is not so very revolutionary you know. It is simply half a four with some balance shafts, and a Multiair head.

It has been tested for years and I would be very surprised if there are any significant problems. As for s&s, can't it be disabled anyway? In this case it need not bother anybody.

Further to Grimwau; yes, Interscope and ESP, but as long as I can get small wheels (I like to be comfy) I'll be happy. I wouldn't want to pay more for leather - which I don't like - unless the seat material is truly vile, which I doubt.

I'm looking at two years ahead for me, since my present car has life left in it.

Can't wait for this ground breaking little car.

Last edited:
Update for Grimwau: looks like you'll have to make sure you fix the price before January - VAT goes to 20% then :eek:

Perhaps Fiat should try and get a few over in good time?

We don't know how much it's going to cost yet, so no point getting too excited. I doubt very much that there will be many faults though. Fiat tends to get new engines right, as does everyone else these days, and they have been working on this twin since I can remember and it has been running as a prototype in vans since '02.

But since it could easily replace all the engines in the present 500 line up, bar the Abarths, without anyone really noticing - except at the pumps - it will be very very interesting to see how they handle it.

I'll have it in Sport, in the new Azure blue and with the black ambiance thank you.

All I want in the way of features are A/C (not climate), central locking and split rear seats. Oh, and a proper spare.

But I'm not in the market anyway so this is just fantasy.

whats the black ambience?

Just received the following (edited) email from Fiat. Looks like the Twin Air 85HP deduts on 4th July.(y)

From 4th July, the world of Fiat and 500 will be even closer to Community members, Facebook fans (more than 100,000 today and counting) and all enthusiasts with the new Fiat Store, a site entirely dedicated to Fiat and 500 product online shopping (www.store.fiat.com).

The opening of the Fiat Store will celebrate an important date: it is both the anniversary of the 500 and the debut of the 500 TwinAir, the new model equipped with a revolutionary 85 HP (900 cc) turbo two-cylinder engine with the lowest CO2 emission of a petrol powerunit (92 g/km with a Dualogic robotised gearbox and 95 g/km with manual gearbox) without skimping on performance or driving pleasure. An exclusive product-icon dedicated to the new Fiat 500 TwinAir and made by Independent Ideas will be available to all store users.

Wonder when it will appear on the configurator?

Full item here.

And when will some clever dealer get their hands on one?

Either way it looks like you'll get yours minus the 20% VAT (y)

Hmm I was planning to order a 500 1.4 sport next week. Now I'm not sure whether I should wait and go for the twin... :confused:

Back