General 500 mpg

Currently reading:
General 500 mpg

If you can coast further, then you benefit more miles/kilometers.

With much respect, I give up, I really do. If guess if people really want to do something that is ill-advised then crack on and take responsibility for the consequences when you can't correct a mistake that needn't have ever occurred in the first instance.

With much respect, I give up, I really do. If guess if people really want to do something that is ill-advised then crack on and take responsibility for the consequences when you can't correct a mistake that needn't have ever occurred in the first instance.
I think you misunderstood my remark, since it wasn't my intention to encourage anyone to coast in neutral with his own car. However, more and more cars and even trucks will make use of coasting. For example: http://www.scania.com/media/pressreleases/N13021EN.aspx

I remeber @1994 when Chris Goffey - on a MOTORING programme called "Top Gear":rolleyes: was testing a(semi-auto) Golf that coasted down hills - he stated that doing so in the UK was ILLEGAL, :eek:
I said earlier, that I knew someone with a Saab 96 with a freewheel clutch.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_96"]Saab 96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia@@AMEPARAM@@<title>Saab 96 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</title>@@AMEPARAM@@Saab 96[/ame]

Are they illegal on the roads?

I think not.
Mick. :)

Highway Code Rule 122 explains vehicle coasting, and its potential results.

Although it in no way recommends coasting, the act of putting a moving vehicle into neutral with the engine running does not seem to be against the law.

Technically, if a driver slips his car into neutral prior to coming to a stop (at junctions or traffic lights for instance) he is coasting.

Guess most drivers coast therefore. Just some do it more than others.

Technically, if a driver slips his car into neutral prior to coming to a stop (at junctions or traffic lights for instance) he is coasting.

Guess most drivers coast therefore. Just some do it more than others.

To be fair what you are describing isn't particularly a problem. On the other hand, the people who make a conscious decision to coast for as long as possible, especially downhill, are unnecessarily placing themselves at risk, including other road users.

It is a fact that some people get distracted behind the wheel to the point of completely forgetting what they're doing. How many people have you heard stating they can't actually remember going around that last roundabout, or have just completed the last mile or so and can't actually remember any part of the journey? Similarly with cruise control, people can forget they've got it engaged and all of a sudden, they've got brown pants when something unexpected happens ahead and all of a sudden, they've completely forgotten how to drive and their reactions have gone out of the window. Trust me, I've been in cars with people like this and it's truly frightening. :eek:

Anyway, to all of those of you who love to coast, keep on going, I'm just glad I'm not sharing a car with you. :p

To be fair what you are describing isn't particularly a problem. On the other hand, the people who make a conscious decision to coast for as long as possible, especially downhill, are unnecessarily placing themselves at risk, including other road users.

It is a fact that some people get distracted behind the wheel to the point of completely forgetting what they're doing. How many people have you heard stating they can't actually remember going around that last roundabout, or have just completed the last mile or so and can't actually remember any part of the journey? Similarly with cruise control, people can forget they've got it engaged and all of a sudden, they've got brown pants when something unexpected happens ahead and all of a sudden, they've completely forgotten how to drive and their reactions have gone out of the window. Trust me, I've been in cars with people like this and it's truly frightening. :eek:

Anyway, to all of those of you who love to coast, keep on going, I'm just glad I'm not sharing a car with you. :p

I CAN understand your point, but believe me when I say that hypermiling is an art, a skill, and should be part of the IAM test. why? well it teaches you to read the road and conditions ahead, in a far more observant way than most people would. I remember seeing a Video of Police driver training, and the driver has to narrate his way thro the course, with a running commentary of whats behind, in front , to the side, oncoming buses about to stop,(potential of someone zooming out from behind etc, etc. this is how I now drive instinctively, whilst coasting up to roundabouts at say 35mph, I am fully aware of who is in what lane, and what is coming round the roundabout , and whether to slow a bit more(not stop) or select 3rd and slip thro'. So I won't be rummaging in my back pocket for some more mints , whilst tying my shoelaces, and coasting down a 1:4 at the same time. It always amazes me when (on otherforums) the subject of hypermiling, coasting (ah but thats cheating I've been told), etc always sparks a discussion, and some folks start to get defensive, as if their method of driving is somehow wrong, and that hypermilers are preaching the gospel of the Antichrist. NOT AT ALL. If I want to waste my time achieving better mpg figures than you, then that is all well and dandy. I am sure you are a excellent driver, just don't ask me to fill up your tank when its empty;):slayer:

ps hope that didn't sound too strong folks, was intended as rather tounge in cheek.

Last edited:
Lol! One thing I stopped worrying about quite some time ago, is how much money it costs to fill the tank on my own car. As for my work vehicle, well I don't pay for the fuel anyway, but seeing as I stay within the speed limit at all times, I'm not exactly worried about that either. Indeed today, I was ahead of time on my route, I slowed down to just 55 mph on the M1 for 30 miles (this was outside of the current barrier replacement works), no issues, just sat behind a bunch of HGV's.

I personally have no issue with anyone hypermiling, just so long as it doesn't put mine or anyone elses safety at risk, it's just not my bag though! (y)

By the way, I'll never profess to be an excellent driver, but I could put the point across that I'm a little more experienced in day to day driving than some just by the sheer amount of miles I cover on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, currently around 4000 miles a month (that includes my private car miles) or about 45k a year once holidays and training periods are taken into account. You could argue I could become complacent, but it's somewhat sobering when you see some of the accidents I see on an almost daily basis, certainly enough to keep me on my toes!

Coasting is a tried and true way to save fuel. Heck, they even do it in NASCAR to save fuel under the safety car.

Is 3hp of engine braking is really a safety benefit in a car with 1000hp+ friction brakes? How long would it take to do an 'emergency' stop with engine braking? One mile? More and more modern cars are being designed to reduce engine braking. With many cars the A/C makes more different to engine braking than being in neutral (the A/C adds 3kW of braking), so should we all be decending hills with the A/C on?

At any rate, I can assure you all that beating the NEDC official figure by 60% in all city driving requires my full concentration.

PS I had a friend who had an accident and he said 'I managed to downshift but', as though downshifting would help slow the car somehow, and his concentration wouldn't be better devoted to the brake pedal (non-ABS car).

Last edited:
Please help me. I thought coasting was always in neutral. Isn't there another English word for "coasting" in gear?

yes its called 'gliding' hence the term 'pulse and glide' where by you plant the throttle for a tad, to say, up your mph from 50-70mph, then foot off, and glide back down to 50 , and repeat. It IS very effective, but hard work to do, so not really viable on the flat.

If you can coast further, then you benefit more miles/kilometers.
Not if you've then used more fuel to get that extra .2 of a mile than you would have used in just driving that bit in gear anyway ;)
Not if you coast with the engine off. Coasting in neutral with the engine running is for wussies.
tongue.gif

I searched the internet for more information about coasting and gliding, but it seems to me that both words are used for decelerations in neutral and in gear.

Personally I often decelerate in gear with my foot off the accelerator and downshifting one gear every time the engine speed reaches 1500 rpm. Since the TwinAir has very little engine braking, you can drive unexpectedly far this way without using any fuel.

Last edited:
known as EOC in certain circles, I have fitted a kill switch in my old land rover for this very job, but t'was a pain, so now only EOC when approaching a known dead stop, ie railway crossings etc

nono.gif
Don't even think of trying this!
nono.gif

Lol! You fervent NASCAR wannabe 'coasties' have at least got just a little bit of health and safety in mind then! :devil:

How about throwing a bit of caution to the wind and try to enjoy actually driving your cars instead of pretending there's only enough petrol in the world to last until next week lol!

Sorry, just trying to be a little light hearted with you tree hugging, wallet hiding snail racers :p

UFI gets a proper thrashing on weekends, but during a commute, hypermiling is actually more fun.

I don't know what people find so entertaining about sitting stationary at red lights, but for some reason they're always in a mad keen rush to get there.

EDIT: It's probably so they can watch the latest LOLcat on their phones.

Last edited:
I don't know what people find so entertaining about sitting stationary at red lights, but for some reason they're always in a mad keen rush to get there.

EDIT: It's probably so they can watch the latest LOLcat on their phones.
yeah exactly i always keep a distance in traffic from the car in front and everyone behind at me beeps at me then accelerates past me then slams on the brakes for traffic light. i roll up next to them and smile as they havent gone anywhere ahead of me = )

Back