Technical 500 classic non starter

Currently reading:
Technical 500 classic non starter

Holeshot

Hi guys,
New owner here.
I bought my new L recently and from the beginning it was always reluctant to start.
When running, it ran OK with no flat spots & revved cleanly.
Then last week it finally gave up and wouldn't start at all.
One look at the distributor made me decide to install a 123 ignition, HT leads, plugs & plug caps. I also got a new battery.
All the above has been installed but still no luck!
One thing that confused me slightly was that the flywheel pulley has no 'notches' as such on the outermost rim but has a cast marker further inboard. This seemed to correspond with the photo in the owners manual. I'm worried my TDC calculations may be out. I did check in the cylinder that the #1 piston was at TDC when this pulley mark aligned with the arrow on the crankcase so thought it must be right.
I installed the 123 distributor as per the instructions - LED coming on, then turning til off etc. I've checked there are sparks: nice robust ones!
I've stripped & cleaned the carb. All keys clean and float valve checked, but still it's a non starter.

I'm at my wits end!

One thing I did notice yesterday was that the starter motor can be activated without the ignition key being turned.......is that normal?

I'm worried that maybe the pulley may be giving me wrong info. Is it possible that it's been fitted wrongly so will give the wrong positioning? I did check #1 pot was at TDC but could it be at TDC in the wrong cycle - is that possible??
The HT leads are connected to the correct plugs.

Anyway....I've run out of ideas!!

Any clues?

Cheers, Hilton

Ignition key only activates the electrical system. It has nothing to do with the starter motor. So yes, the starter can be turned with the ignition key off.

You state that you have spark, but are you sure you have gas? You could have a bad fuel pump, blocked filter, blocked fuel pickup inside the gas tank. Is there actually gas inside the carburetor?

Are you using the fuel enrichment lever to start the engine? Are you sure that it is actually pulling the fuel enrichment valve?

Need to check these things.
John

Ignition key only activates the electrical system. It has nothing to do with the starter motor. So yes, the starter can be turned with the ignition key off.

You state that you have spark, but are you sure you have gas? You could have a bad fuel pump, blocked filter, blocked fuel pickup inside the gas tank. Is there actually gas inside the carburetor?

Are you using the fuel enrichment lever to start the engine? Are you sure that it is actually pulling the fuel enrichment valve?

Need to check these things.
John

Thanks for the reply John.

Good to know the ignition switch is as God intended :)

Yes, sorry; forgot to mention the fuel pump works well and fuel was present in the float chamber. I cleaner all jets including the starter jet plus float valve and filter. All fuel ways seemed clear.
I did check the choke was all working and used it when trying to start up.
However saying that, I'll check there's actually fuel getting into the combustion chamber this evening and try spraying some easy start into the carb and see what happens.
Can't take it for grated that fuels getting thru even after a carb clean......maybe I've missed something fundamental....?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Well, now I'm stuck..........:confused:

Despite thinking I could smell fuel on the plugs after trying to start up, I realise that I was probably wrong and the plugs do indeed appear dry.

I double checked the fuel pump - that shoots fuel all over the place!

One thing I should point out is that it's got a Dellorto carb fitted.
Taking the lid off, there's a float chamber full of fuel.

I removed the carb, took all jets out and all are A-O.K.
Removed the float valve & seat and cleaned them...not that they were dirty.
Removed mixture needle and cleaned all air/fuelways which all seemed OK.
Checked choke was operating.

When rebuilt & connected backup there's not even a splutter.......

I simply just don't understand what else I can do.

Any ideas??

PS - I didn't have any Easy Start to spray into the carb intake.

Just try pouring a small amount of gas directly into the carb throat and try starting. Sounds like you may have a fuel passage blocked.

Which Dellorto model do you have?
John

Thanks for all you help John,

Tried it a bit of petrol 'mainlining' but to no avail......

but all is clear now.

Gave it to the garage round the corner who got it running by bump starting it but it sounds like a bi-plane.
Horrible, horrible, horrible!

Looks like the headgasket's blown.

This doesn't actually surprise me as it was making a horrible noise when it last ran, but I was trying to mend a blown manifold gasket that blew on the way home from picking it up. The head gasket noise must've been being masked by the manifold blow and just gave up on it's last run.

I'm fed up with messing about and am giving it over for a full strip-down and rebuild as I simply don't trust anything the previous owner has told me - so will start from scratch and renew everything from crank up.

I'll get there in the end.

I'll let you know how things progress but determined to end up with a strong, reliable little friend.

Cheers, Hilton.:)

Back