Technical 4x4 Clutch Cable Advice

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 Clutch Cable Advice

conkerpow

Hi all, the clutch cable has snapped on my 1990 LHD 4x4, I have the replacement cable and hope to fit it over the weekend. Are there any tips/warnings you guys can share with me before I undertake the job? Or is best left for a garage? Thanks!

Hi,

As long as the replacement part is correct type, you should be able to do under 60min ( if your novice). Just make sure it is routed the same way the old one. Make record of the gearbox cable end locking nut positions but for reference only as final adjustment will have to be made anyway. The old one was probably stretched a bit. Inspect the metal wedge/ cable saddle art the clutch lever, clean it and give some lube. Do you know where the cable snapped? as passing through bulkhead or at the g/box end?

Attachments

• clutch.JPG
    clutch.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I've had a look and just noticed I'm missing the large nut at the end of the cable by the gearbox end, I have the curved piece here shown against the lever in the photo but not the nut, does anybody have any idea on size to replace it?
DSC00141-1.jpg

Normally there are 2x M6x1, and they are lock between each other

While that half round wedge will be off the clutch level make sure the surface in-between the clutch level curvature is free from any rust.

From which angle that photo been taken? I can't work that out, as some weir metal work is there.

It's ok , I've managed to replace the clutch cable today, that photo was from google, the only one I could find that looked similar so maybe it's from a different model, it just didn't look right with the two small locking nuts, at least now I know it's correct. Thanks for your help! (y)

Do the two nuts stay together on the end of the thread? against each other?

Back