General 2013 fiat 4x4 diesel exhaust .

Currently reading:
General 2013 fiat 4x4 diesel exhaust .

Graham2018

own a fiat panda 4 x 4 diesel on a 2013 plate in black, which I love driving .
I've owned the car since may 2018 . Its got through every MOT with no advisory on the exhaust . In fact, I don't know how
long the exhaust has been on the car . so next year I want to fit a new exhaust, but thinking of an abarth back box and
straight piping to the manifold, so possibly a full stainless system, but dont want to go too mad . so need some advice .
whether to get hold of a decent second hand abarth back box and fitting new for the rest ( or a decent 2nd hand full
system and where to get one ? ) . can anyone point me in the right direction .

I've owned the car since may 2018 . Its got through every MOT with no advisory on the exhaust . In fact, I don't know how
long the exhaust has been on the car . so next year I want to fit a new exhaust, but thinking of an abarth back box and
straight piping to the manifold, so possibly a full stainless system, but dont want to go too mad . so need some advice .
whether to get hold of a decent second hand abarth back box and fitting new for the rest ( or a decent 2nd hand full
Hi I'm not familiar with the Abarth but I do have a 2013 4x4TA 80k miles. It's still on the original exhaust but I did get an advisory at the last MOT due to a rusted (missing) hanger (the one behind the flexible). I fixed that by using a U clamp with a fabricated new hook The 4x4 exhaust is different from the 2wd versions due to the rear diff so you might be struggling with a rear box from another 2wd, albeit from the same platform.

There has been occasional discussion on here about the scarcity (or absence) of replacement 4x4 exhausts I'm sure this will change as they begin to rot out? Isn't it effectively straight through to the rear box anyway in production form?

I don't think an Abarth back box will fit on a 4x4... the rear diff is in the way.
Exhausts on diesel engines last 'indefinitely' (well, nearly!)... as there's very little acidic residue in the exhaust gas (true of petrols since cats were used too). The only bit that gets a bit ropey is the flexi joint near the front, and the issue here is mechanical fraying, not corrosion. The silencer may start to rust externally, eventually, but not to an extent where it gets holes in it.

Hi I'm not familiar with the Abarth but I do have a 2013 4x4TA 80k miles. It's still on the original exhaust but I did get an advisory at the last MOT due to a rusted (missing) hanger (the one behind the flexible). I fixed that by using a U clamp with a fabricated new hook The 4x4 exhaust is different from the 2wd versions due to the rear diff so you might be struggling with a rear box from another 2wd, albeit from the same platform.

There has been occasional discussion on here about the scarcity (or absence) of replacement 4x4 exhausts I'm sure this will change as they begin to rot out? Isn't it effectively straight through to the rear box anyway in production form?
Yes - it runs in one piece alongside the prop shaft and does a turn around the rear to dodge the rear diff.

@Graham2018 I meant to add this earlier... on the 2WD Panda, the exhaust runs straight down the middle of the car, in the 'tunnel' along the centre and then bends toward the nearside rear wheel and the siliencer. Because the prop shaft uses that tunnel on 4x4 models and because of the PTU drive unit, the 4x4 exhaust has this little double bend near the sump (to go around the transfer drive) but then runs in a straight line to the back suspension beam before bending round into the RH end (when looking at the back of the car) or offside end of the transversely mounted rear silencer. The Abarth rear slilencer takes the exhaust in towards the left side...

IMG_4488.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like an abarth back-box is not gonna fit . however is there scope to fit a replacement in exact form,
but a full stainless system instead, and if so, what would one expect to pay ?, or what is the best option as far
as replacing the exhaust . I want to fit something decent . thanks for the guy for the previou post, the information
was very useful and interesting .

I had a stainless system made for my 2005-reg 4x4 - from just forward of the flexi coupling to the back. It wasn’t cheap - the flexi part being the most expensive. I can’t recall the price now (over 10 years ago) but to be honest I’m not sure it was worth it - no change to performance, slight reduction in ground clearance (fewer bends so hung lower in the middle) and added weight. Sounded nice though :)

Does a TA exhaust cut a diesel? (Don’t know. )
A good point but a first for TA 4x4 exhausts at more sensible money. Maybe the supplier could get one specific to a diesel. The price sounds more sensible than those I have heard previously. I suspect it mightjust fit as the TA is turbo.I suppose it depends on where the sesnors all fit and the pipe diameter as much as anything. Im off to the the dealer tomporrow for an MOT and will ask the parts man. Dealer is doing MOT at best proce locally! Im going to get a dealer price for the cambelt on our 169 as Im annoyed at being inconvenienced locally so might just allow them to do this. I expect the price will kill the idea stone dead! I just dont trust (Fiat) inexperienced people to poke about with the VVT engines.

2013 4x4 diesel. 90K miles. Couple of years ago MOT inspector verbally commented on the condition, but has not the last two years. It doing more miles regularly so corroding less with some heat in it. If/When i need a replacement shall go stainless route, just take existing to local exhaust fabricator and get him to replicate. ( Did this for re-engined defender as economic option.)

Back