Technical 2010 Grande Punto Burning Oil

Currently reading:
Technical 2010 Grande Punto Burning Oil

jacobtribe

Hi guys, I have a 2010 Grande PUNTO with just shy of 80k miles on the clock and itsee burning a scary amount of oil. I check it every week and the dipstick seams to lose about a quater every week. there's no blue smoke or smoke in the engine bay the only 2 things iv picked up on are an oily residue in the exhaust pipe and the engine reving quite high (1500 rpm) at start up. Any suggestions iv been told my a friend it's the beginning on the end for this car please bring me good news. Thank YOU!!

Are you sure of 80k miles?
It could be the piston rings and this would be a big problem. A compression test should be useful.

But maybe you're only using the wrong oil.

I don't know what engine do you have. Burning oil problem, specially with 1.4 16V, could be connected with the thermostat. You can check it when the car is cold, turn it on and feel when the upper coolant hose becomes hot: the temperature instrument should be at the center.

1.500 rpm when the engine is cold is a little too high. Try to clean the throttle body and the engine breather hose. If there is too blowby, they are very dirty.

Last edited:
yeh it definitely has 80k on it which if it is the worn piston rings is ridiculous in a car about 6 years old!! the engine is a 1.4 8V.

yeh it definitely has 80k on it which if it is the worn piston rings is ridiculous in a car about 6 years old!! the engine is a 1.4 8V.

Obvious question but you are sure it's burning oil not leaking it? Have you looked at your spark plugs and if so are they all gummed up with oil?

If not then have you checked:
1. the sump and sump plug for leaks
2. the oil breather hoses on the top of the engine for splits and leaks

Which oil do you have?
Don't underestimate the thermostat: from Euro 4 the tolerances are very tight and if the engine doesn't reach the right temperature, oil's consumption increases.

Last edited:
Which oil do you have?
Don't underestimate the thermostat: from Euro 4 the tolerances are very tight and if the engine doesn't reach the right temperature, oil's consumption increases.

I use 5w-40 which is the recommended grade from the handbook. the thermostat might be a shout tho because I've noticed the car gets up to operating temperature very quickly. it never over heats but within 2 minutes of idling it's at full operating temperature

Obvious question but you are sure it's burning oil not leaking it? Have you looked at your spark plugs and if so are they all gummed up with oil?

If not then have you checked:
1. the sump and sump plug for leaks
2. the oil breather hoses on the top of the engine for splits and leaks

I'll have a good look tommorow all around the engine bay and I'll Jack it up and have a good luck under thanks:)

How many miles are we talking about every week ?

One quarter in a week with normal mileage is HUGE consumption even with worn rings/valves...

Check for leaks everywhere...

About cold starts, are you sure about 1500rpm?

~1500 is high
~1250 is normal.

How many miles are we talking about every week ?

One quarter in a week with normal mileage is HUGE consumption even with worn rings/valves...

Check for leaks everywhere...

About cold starts, are you sure about 1500rpm?

~1500 is high
~1250 is normal.

I'll watch the revs when I cold start it tommorow and iv had the car since the start of November and iv done about 8000 miles in it

I use 5w-40 which is the recommended grade from the handbook.

The grade's ok, but the right oil is a 5W-40, C3 and at least API SM, better still if in SN (and FIAT 9.55535-S2, but S2 isn't so important).

And it's very important to often change the oil, more often than Fiat says and at least one time every year.

Last edited:
Back