Technical 2008 Fiat Bravo 1.4tjet Cambelt

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 Fiat Bravo 1.4tjet Cambelt

FlexZA

So for a bit of a back story, last week my car just stalled and died when going over a small hump. First thought, something electrical.

Got an auto electrician to have a look, and discovered it was the cambelt not rotating the cam.

So got a few questions.
1. From when I can find, it seems the 1.4 tjet head is a non interference head, is that correct?

2. Is it possible to remove and reinstall the Cambelt without removing or stripping the engine? And how difficult is it.

3. Any tips or advice in advice for people who have done this or been through this process

Hi i got the same issue, the pulley of the auxiliary belt was loose which caused timing to be off. Garage is now mounting the pulley and setting Timing and then check the compression of the engine, how did you resolve?

1. I dont think that is true, it was related to 1.1 and 1.2 Fire engines, but even 1.4 (66 and 70 kW) have chance to "meet" valve with piston with obvious results... Only 8V engines are made to not interfere. Sorry to say...

2. Yes, you can only lift the engine and dismantle the engine mount at the top side of engine... you can afterwards take of plastic covers and have a look at the state of belt and pulleys.

3. Most probably if it is shot, take out spark plugs and inspect the status of pistons. Most probably (and easiest way), since it is now new, will be to get the same engine from crashed cars. Get new cambelt and water pump.

1. I dont think that is true, it was related to 1.1 and 1.2 Fire engines, but even 1.4 (66 and 70 kW) have chance to "meet" valve with piston with obvious results... Only 8V engines are made to not interfere. Sorry to say...

2. Yes, you can only lift the engine and dismantle the engine mount at the top side of engine... you can afterwards take of plastic covers and have a look at the state of belt and pulleys.

3. Most probably if it is shot, take out spark plugs and inspect the status of pistons. Most probably (and easiest way), since it is now new, will be to get the same engine from crashed cars. Get new cambelt and water pump.

Even the 8v engines in euro 5 and ,6 emissions levels are interference engine's

So car is back, was lots of damage and money.
It is an interference head, and hit valves and damaged pistons.

Was not really economically viable to fix it all, but I love the car so did it anyway.

But now I have another problem. The car only boosts about 1/5th of the way, and sticks there. Unsure what can be the cause. ECU, or hardware related :?

So for a bit of a back story, last week my car just stalled and died when going over a small hump. First thought, something electrical.

Got an auto electrician to have a look, and discovered it was the cambelt not rotating the cam.

So got a few questions.
1. From when I can find, it seems the 1.4 tjet head is a non interference head, is that correct?

2. Is it possible to remove and reinstall the Cambelt without removing or stripping the engine? And how difficult is it.

3. Any tips or advice in advice for people who have done this or been through this process
Try to turn the cam gear if its impossible then your engine is trashed if you can turn it then just find the timing and replace the belt and yes you need to lift the engine a bit

Back