Technical 2007 75 Multijet diesel coolant pipe leak

Currently reading:
Technical 2007 75 Multijet diesel coolant pipe leak

Soapy66

Good morning all, had a search but couldn't find a repeat post, 2007 Punto Grande 1300 75 Multijet diesel, drove 350 miles on Saturday, Sunday nipped to Asda and back 2 miles, got home to a drip of coolant, top hose has sprung a leak, no where open for spares, so as I had the MOT today I cut it down and reattached. Seems fine.
But I noticed the smaller 3" long pipe below the top hose has perished as well. Does anyone know the name and part number so I can source one please? One last question please, what is the coolant water ratio and do people use distilled water? TiA.

Attachments

• 20220821_152049.jpg
    20220821_152049.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 142
Good morning all, had a search but couldn't find a repeat post, 2007 Punto Grande 1300 75 Multijet diesel, drove 350 miles on Saturday, Sunday nipped to Asda and back 2 miles, got home to a drip of coolant, top hose has sprung a leak, no where open for spares, so as I had the MOT today I cut it down and reattached. Seems fine.
But I noticed the smaller 3" long pipe below the top hose has perished as well. Does anyone know the name and part number so I can source one please? One last question please, what is the coolant water ratio and do people use distilled water? TiA.
Daughter has just sold her 06 Grande Punto Multijet so can't help re hose . Re Coolant I always use tap water and 50% antifreeze, though down here the winters are mild and the water is clean, as in it doesn't "furr up" the kettle;)

Daughter has just sold her 06 Grande Punto Multijet so can't help re hose . Re Coolant I always use tap water and 50% antifreeze, though down here the winters are mild and the water is clean, as in it doesn't "furr up" the kettle;)
Thanks for the reply. Been away on holiday with poor mobile and WiFi coverage in Wales. Living in Northamptonshire we have limescale but I have never known it cause problems in coolant systems.

I have sourced the small pipe, it feeds the thermostat, but the next question is how do I reattach it, the pipe is 3" long and the gap is like 1"?

Thanks for the reply. Been away on holiday with poor mobile and WiFi coverage in Wales. Living in Northamptonshire we have limescale but I have never known it cause problems in coolant systems.

I have sourced the small pipe, it feeds the thermostat, but the next question is how do I reattach it, the pipe is 3" long and the gap is like 1"?
Unless you undo what ever the pipes goes to at on end, the only thing I can suggest is what we used to do in the old days with mini bypass hoses, instead of the flimsy corrugated rubber replacement we used a correct length of heater hose greased it up and bent it double and popped it in place then opened the clips and fitted them around the hose afterwards. I don't know if that is possible for you as I have never changed one on a Fiat Punto.
Maybe someone in the Punto section can advise you.

Unless you undo what ever the pipes goes to at on end, the only thing I can suggest is what we used to do in the old days with mini bypass hoses, instead of the flimsy corrugated rubber replacement we used a correct length of heater hose greased it up and bent it double and popped it in place then opened the clips and fitted them around the hose afterwards. I don't know if that is possible for you as I have never changed one on a Fiat Punto.
Maybe someone in the Punto section can advise you.
Thanks, never thought of that. The pipe and the housing seem to be fixed in place. Not keen to start removing housings etcetera.

Attachments

• 20220831_163902.jpg
    20220831_163902.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
Thanks, never thought of that. The pipe and the housing seem to be fixed in place. Not keen to start removing housings etcetera.
Warm it up a bit, roll around and work it in your hand, then grease it up, make sure no sharp edges and with luck hose will pop on, then you just have to fiddle with the clips.

Warm it up a bit, roll around and work it in your hand, then grease it up, make sure no sharp edges and with luck hose will pop on, then you just have to fiddle with the clips.
And it worked, struggled with the limited space in there, but got it on. Many thanks to you.

Back