Technical 2005 Schumacher Steering Rack part number

Currently reading:
Technical 2005 Schumacher Steering Rack part number

Hi Gang ,
Does anyone know the part Number for the RHD Steering rack for my 2005 Schumacher GP.. It's worn badly apparently just had it MOT'd and ther'e loads of play in it
Are there any out there and is it a specific part for the schumacher or will an Abarth or JTD one fit ok . I have found a few on the interweb but not sure if they are all the same or not. I f i can't find one it looks like curtains for the old girl.☹️
Thanks in Advance

Hi Gang ,
Does anyone know the part Number for the RHD Steering rack for my 2005 Schumacher GP.. It's worn badly apparently just had it MOT'd and ther'e loads of play in it
Are there any out there and is it a specific part for the schumacher or will an Abarth or JTD one fit ok . I have found a few on the interweb but not sure if they are all the same or not. I f i can't find one it looks like curtains for the old girl.☹️
Thanks in Advance
ePER shows the part number for the 1.8 and 2.4 engine RHD Stilos as 46826720. That number was replaced by 51772120 on 15th July 2005.

The only difference between the 1.8 & 2.4 and all other RHD Stilos is a slightly different turning circle. I think it was because of wider wheels/tyres fitted to the 1.8 & 2.4.

Hi Dav.
Just got a couple of steering racks. One has the early part number 46826720. But the other on has 517733240 they both look identical. I've looked on eper. But can't find the latter one. And to be honest I struggle with deciphering eper. Any idea which will fit my 2.4. They are both TRW Unit
Cheers from a clueless fiat owner.

It looks like there's a superfluous 0 on the end of your part number 517733240. Searching ePER for part number 51773324 (without the 0) shows it as another old part number for 51772120.

If you want to PM me your VIN, I'll check it further for you.

Cool mate..i just copied the numbers from the parts marked stamping on the body... Just pm'd you. the racks i got are quite old and are from 1.8 .. i just cannot find a 2.4 one anywhere.
Cheers Again for helping out on this mare,
Jay

the racks i got are quite old and are from 1.8 .. i just cannot find a 2.4 one anywhere.

The same steering racks are fitted to both the 1.8, and the 2.4 Stilos.

According to your VIN, the steering rack fitted to your car during manufacture was part number 46826720. As you have one of those, I'd be inclined to fit that one. However there's a good chance that any of the part numbers above would be suitable.

It appears from ePER that the 2 bolts that fit the rack to the subframe are different sizes, so you would have to use a rack from a 1.8 or 2.4.

Sorry I can't find any other useful info about this.

That's brilliant Dav.
Thankyou very much for you help. I will take both to the garage. There is a chap there with a coupe 20v turbo .he will know the score and choose the best one. Or. The less rough one.. to fit.ha ha.
Thanks again.

Hi Gang ,
....................................... It's worn badly apparently just had it MOT'd and ther'e loads of play init

Just a thought but, how long have you owned the car ?, did you get it MoT'd at the same place before ?, how many miles have you done since the last MoT ?.

Point being for a rack to suddenly have 'loads of play' after 15 years or so of being OK, then either it's had a load of extra wear, or maybe it's not been tested that thoroughly :unsure:.

H iMax.
I know what you mean, It failed MOT on Trackrod ends .Been taking it to the same place for about 2 1/2 years , The local Fiat ,ain dealer took about 4 Grand off me for various repairs so i knocked them on the head.The car only cost me 31/2 grand.. anyway when they removed the wheel etc they said its the steering rack that has play in it. Not the track rod ends.
it seems to drive ok . i cant hear any clunking or other various noises over the road noise etc,and it steers ok . now and again it will track on roadworks and concrete motorways ,but i put that down to having 225 tyres on it.
maybe the rods are loose not the rack and pinion ?

Got to be honest I've only ever changed the 'outer' track rod ends (on many cars), but depending on the design of the rack it will/may have replaceable 'inner' track rod ends as well. Worth checking to see if the 'inners' are replaceable before changing the whole rack ?.

That said, if you have to take the rack out to change the 'inners', or, it's not the inners anyway, then yes another rack is the answer.

If you're not certain the play is in the steering rack, check the link rod that connects the power steering motor to the rack pinion. Item A in this diagram. There could be play in the yoke that connects the rod to the motor, or play in the universal joint that connects to the rack pinion, or play in the sliding shaft that connects the top and bottom parts of the rod, or one or both of the 2 clamp bolts could be loose.

EPS.JPG

Got to be honest I've only ever changed the 'outer' track rod ends (on many cars), but depending on the design of the rack it will/may have replaceable 'inner' track rod ends as well. Worth checking to see if the 'inners' are replaceable before changing the whole rack ?.

That said, if you have to take the rack out to change the 'inners', or, it's not the inners anyway, then yes another rack is the answer.
Cheers for the advice Max. As I am a mechanical numpty. Especially on proper greasy bits .All I can do is take both racks to the garage . There is a bloke there with a 20v Coupe. So he knows a bit about older fiats. Hope fully they can have poke about(not too long though eh£££) and sort it out.
Cheers again

If you're not certain the play is in the steering rack, check the link rod that connects the power steering motor to the rack pinion. Item A in this diagram. There could be play in the yoke that connects the rod to the motor, or play in the universal joint that connects to the rack pinion, or play in the sliding shaft that connects the top and bottom parts of the rod, or one or both of the 2 clamp bolts could be loose.

View attachment 392406
Thanks Dav.
That'll come in handy.. Why oh why don't Haynes do a manual for the stilo??
I even emailed them. 😬
Thanks again.
Jay

Back