Technical 2005 Ducato 2.8JTD oil light issue

Currently reading:
Technical 2005 Ducato 2.8JTD oil light issue

imatthepub

Hello All,

Any helpful tips please. Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD 2005 Oil light issue. The van is running and sounding completely fine. A few weeks ago after a service and timing belt the oil light started to randomly flicker a day or so later. Been back to the garage many times now, to & fro, and the following has been done over a period: new oil pressure sensor/switch, New O ring on the oil uptake, Flushed with quality product, Sump off and sieve cleaned, New rocker cover gasket, 2 Oil filter changes, Wiring checked.

They are a good garage so trust the mechanic.....

More or less each time it's been in the vans come back fine, then randomly a few days later or a few trips the light appears again. One time it was 1 mile up the road and another after two 200mile round trips.

The light is now more of less on most the time, but then has periods where it goes back to a flicker. If I increase the RPM to one 3500 it sometimes goes off for a few minutes. Today it went from on to a flicker then off for 10 miles. Started the van again and its back on.

As I said it's running well, with no noises. Engine on 86000 miles so not high.

Next on the list is a new oil pump, which has a 6 week wait on the part as it's coming from fiat. Any ideas of where to get one quicker ?

Trouble is we're running dry on ideas and each time the vans off the road I end up having to rent, in turn adding to the cost. It's been a good van, regularly serviced so worth investigating.

Any advice please? Has anyone had the same problem?

It's been a while since I had those Sofim 2.8 engines, mostly in Iveco Dailys , but one Ducato Maxi, in fairness I found then totally reliable with no oil pressure issues, some with mileages approaching 200k.
From memory the oil pump was external mounted in a housing bolted to the block by several large bolts, that housing had pipes/spigots with large O rings that engaged with the engine block, it also was the mounting for the high pressure injector pump and on some engines the power steering pump, also a oil filler pipe. I assume that unit was not disturbed at any time.
As it happened after the engine work, service cambelt etc. I would say either something got in or was dislodged that has restricted oil flow, to my mind if it was the oil pump as in something damaging the pump vanes it would be low pressure all the time and not vary day to day.
Is there a pressure relief valve that has got debris in it or is sticking?
Has there been a mechanical oil pressure gauge fitted to confirm low pressure, also when camshaft rocker/cover off was there signs of poor oil supply to the top end, something usually the first to notice low oil supply.
I always used genuine Iveco filters and commercial grade 15/40 Iveco engine oil from the dealers as I had a trade account , so often on offer.
Regarding sourcing parts assuming the same used on Ducato versions it may be worth trying an Iveco Dealer, or even a Peugeot/Citroen one as engine used in them also.:)

Thanks for the reply. Where is the oil pressure relief valve positioned on these engines?

Thanks for the reply. Where is the oil pressure relief valve positioned on these engines?
Perhaps the attached page from an Iveco 2,8jtd manual, will help?

Attachments

• 2.8JTD p98 Lubrication System.pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 80
Hi

In view of your description of random flickering, I think it is just as likely to be an electrical problem rather than a genuine fault causing momentary low oil pressure. This type of switch is typically set at 10 to 15 PSI which even a very hot engine at idle should comfortably exceed. I find it hard to believe that oil pressure could dip and return quickly enough to cause a flicker. I suggest you take a careful look along the wiring/loom from oil pressure warning switch all the way to the warning light. Any short to ground (chafed loom etc) would make the lamp illuminate. Maybe something got caught/snagged during the recent work ?

If this doesn't resolve it, you could try rigging a completely separate temporary wire from the switch to a source of 12 volts via a small 12 volt bulb (e.g. sidelight type) which you can see when driving, and see if that flickers in the same way.

There is also the option of fitting a purely mechanical (capillary tube) type oil gauge if you can find the right thread of adaptor to rig it in place of the switch. Cost will probably be less than an hour's labour from a commercial garage !

Many garages would have test equipment to mechanically read the oil pressure, especially if you have already tried a new switch so a matching thread adaptor to a standard oil gauge should soon confirm one way or another.

Hello All,

Any helpful tips please. Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD 2005 Oil light issue. The van is running and sounding completely fine. A few weeks ago after a service and timing belt the oil light started to randomly flicker a day or so later. Been back to the garage many times now, to & fro, and the following has been done over a period: new oil pressure sensor/switch, New O ring on the oil uptake, Flushed with quality product, Sump off and sieve cleaned, New rocker cover gasket, 2 Oil filter changes, Wiring checked.

They are a good garage so trust the mechanic.....

More or less each time it's been in the vans come back fine, then randomly a few days later or a few trips the light appears again. One time it was 1 mile up the road and another after two 200mile round trips.

The light is now more of less on most the time, but then has periods where it goes back to a flicker. If I increase the RPM to one 3500 it sometimes goes off for a few minutes. Today it went from on to a flicker then off for 10 miles. Started the van again and its back on.

As I said it's running well, with no noises. Engine on 86000 miles so not high.

Next on the list is a new oil pump, which has a 6 week wait on the part as it's coming from fiat. Any ideas of where to get one quicker ?

Trouble is we're running dry on ideas and each time the vans off the road I end up having to rent, in turn adding to the cost. It's been a good van, regularly serviced so worth investigating.

Any advice please? Has anyone had the same problem?
The dash panel is prone to bad earths on ducatos fit a decent earth strap and try that.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

So today the pressure release valve on the oil pump has been taken off, soaked and cleaned. (Wasn't too dirty apparently.) If found the link to these on eBay should I decided to change it..... but there are many on the drop down list....... Not sure which suits my van.

All electrics have been double checked and tested.

Pressure checked.....I think the mechanic said the PSI was up around 60 and never dropped below 54. (Bad signal when he called but pretty sure thats what he said.)

If the light continues to flicker we will explore the route disconnecting it and fitting a mechanical pressure gauge to the van to be dash mounted. Possibly a fault in the dash cluster?

If anyone has any further ideas they would be gratefully received as I need the van back and not to be too and fro.

Many thanks

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

So today the pressure release valve on the oil pump has been taken off, soaked and cleaned. (Wasn't too dirty apparently.) If found the link to these on eBay should I decided to change it..... but there are many on the drop down list....... Not sure which suits my van.

All electrics have been double checked and tested.

Pressure checked.....I think the mechanic said the PSI was up around 60 and never dropped below 54. (Bad signal when he called but pretty sure thats what he said.)

If the light continues to flicker we will explore the route disconnecting it and fitting a mechanical pressure gauge to the van to be dash mounted. Possibly a fault in the dash cluster?

If anyone has any further ideas they would be gratefully received as I need the van back and not to be too and fro.

Many thanks
My interpretation is that there is only one part listed on Ebay, with numerous applications in which the Ducato 2.8jtd does not appear. The Iveco 2.8jtd is listed. It is a longditudinal upright version, rather than transverse and inclined as in Ducato version. Both versions are designated 8140.43s.

In case you wish to give the wiring an further inspection, I am attaching an annoted copy of the relevant diagram. Given your symptoms, it is possible that a cable is rubbing somewhere, and causing occasional short circuits. In my opinion, the most likely section, and perhaps the most difficult to inspect, would be that connecting to the pressure switch.

Attachments

• eLearn E4010-1 Instrument Panel.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 68
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Those pressure relief valves are for the later engine not your 2.8.
Here is a picture of the whole assembly that bolts to side of your engine and does multiple jobs including oil pump, oil filter mounting , drive for power steering pump, mount for injector pump etc.
On the photo where the three studs stick out to mount the injector pump, slightly to the left and forward of that flange I think is the oil pressure relief valve, but it was a long time ago I worked on them.
1696445614499.png
;)

Thank you Bugsymike.
Come to think of it my power steering when at a crawl or stationary has begun to have a little resistance, as in its become slightly heavier and not so assisted. Could this be connected if the pump has multi functions. ?
Cheers

Thank you Bugsymike.
Come to think of it my power steering when at a crawl or stationary has begun to have a little resistance, as in its become slightly heavier and not so assisted. Could this be connected if the pump has multi functions. ?
Cheers
Probably not as cambelt drives the gears directly so if power steering pump not working properly due to drive then cambelt probably would have shredded along with your engine. (when cambelts fail on those engines in my experience the valves hit the pistons and often bend a conrod!!!)
Re steering, unless engine was running way to slow, I would check steering oil/fluid level first. In the six of those engines in various vehicles I have owned the power steering was never an issue.
By the way another thing mounted to that casting is the brake vacuum pump, so all in all quite a busy part.:)

Back