Panda 2004 Panda Active Rust Problem?

Currently reading:
Panda 2004 Panda Active Rust Problem?

fayton10

Hey, recently bought my 2004 Panda and whilst i was checking it over i noticed a large amount of rust on the undercarriage. is this normal?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-1630.JPG
    IMG-1630.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG-1629.JPG
    IMG-1629.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG-1628.JPG
    IMG-1628.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
Just seems a bit excessive. Im worried that something will snap whilst Im driving.

Most 15 year old cars will look the same, unless those parts have been replaced.

The only bits I'd have a little concern over are the suspension dampers, but unless they're leaking (which would be picked up by the MOT), then it's not really a big worry.

Nothing too unusual there - track rods and suspension dampers always rust.

So long as it's not structural (ie. the floor / sills of the car), I wouldn't worry about it.

:yeahthat:

its what you would expect from a 15 year old car.

I would have a proper look at the front strut spring seats. While your at it check the rear ones.

Just seems a bit excessive. Im worried that something will snap whilst Im driving.

Very little chance of that. All looks pretty much what you would expect at that age. By far the most likely thing to "snap" is a road spring but honestly one of them could go at any time with the state of our roads these days to say nothing of the effect of speed humps. Here's a picture of a rusty rear spring currently living, very happily, under the rear of our 2010 Panda Dynamic Eco:

P1070275.JPG

I'm actually much more worried about the rust on the rear axle and am going to clean it down and treat it this summer (maybe with waxoyl, haven't decided yet). If I can get a good deal on a couple of springs I will probably do them at that time but I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

Thin some chain saw oil with white spirit and spray it onto all areas that corrode. It does go sticky so wipe splashes off bodywork paint and do not get any on the brake discs.

Get under that car and do things like fuel tank straps and anything that looks like it needs some help.

Biggest trouble area for rust is the rear axle especially the spring pans. Fiat are not unusual here. May other cars will have long since been scrapped at this age.

Back