General 2003 Scudo with starting issues and yellow light

Currently reading:
General 2003 Scudo with starting issues and yellow light

hannargh

Hi, new to this forum and new to Scudo ownership!

My van has been taking two or three goes to start in the mornings. When it does rumble start, a yellow warning light immediately to the right of the glow plug light flickers for the first couple of miles. I couldn't find the exact one online but I think it's the 'Water in the diesel filter' light.

So I put it in for a service with oil and fuel filter change, thinking this would fix it but no luck.

I've only recently bought it and the guy before says he did the glow plugs recently. It's in the garage today for inspection but thought I'd put it out there as well.

Anyone had this problem? Cheers.

Edit, I do wait for the glow plug light to go off each time I try and start. The van has an ignition switch separate which I guess was installed due to previous problems. Could be affecting start?

Last edited:
Sorry could you describe the ignition switch separate part of your post please?
If it is water in fuel light and you have new fuel filter don't worry about it, just get new filter every year .

On other vehicles, I have seen the water sensor fail causing the light to come on. If customer doesn't want to try a new sensor ,can be expensive, I recommend disconnecting the sensor and a yearly filter change.

There is a switch below and right of the ignition barrel that has to be switched for the engine to start, and switched off to cut the engine even when the key has been turned to the off position.
My mechanic says it's likely that there was a problem with the ignition and instead of replacing a costly part they installed the switch. He said they have done this before as it's cheaper.

Yep new fuel filter. Mechanic said the housing was leaking before and the seal was a bugger to get back on but it's grand now. Maybe the light is just a sensor fault, it's the starting issue that's more pressing but maybe they're unrelated?!

Ok got it about switch.
Sorry to hear starting an issue.
Have you tried heating the plugs a couple of times before cranking?
How many miles has it done?
Worth a look to see if glow plugs look new and are getting power while glow light is on.

Hi sorry for the long wait in reply, the van has been in the garage and they've tested the glow plugs and relay and apparently it's fine. Still with the light and struggling to cold start. I think there is a problem with the fuel getting through, but I don't have any mechanical knowledge so could be wrong. Sometimes after it starts it grumbles and stalls out, without me even being near the clutch, so that's what makes me think fuel problem.

Do you know any way to test this? Don't want to waste more money paying mechanics to search for the problem! Thank you

You have taken it to a garage ,
Did they not have an opinion why it's a bad starter?
If so what was it?

Or do you take it to garage and tell them what to check?

How many miles has it done?
Go online and do mot history check its free from government. Make sure milage goes up each year not down.
Service history?

Probably the best advice you will get is, as long as it starts before the battery goes flat don't worry about it as it will only cost you more money.

Possibly the guy sold it because it is a bad starter , was it a private seller?

They wanted to test the glow plugs. I didn't ask them what to check. They said there are any number of reasons for bad starting. I am just doing a bit of research for suggestions on what to try next.

It's done around 96000 miles, I checked the MOT history before I bought it.

It was a private seller. I guess the starting issue is easy to hide.

Glad your garage agreed with forum suggestion to check glow plugs and power supply first.

No criticism implied in previous post sounds like you doing the right things.

Did you try heating the plugs twice or three times before using starter motor?

96000 not high miles at all, well done doing MOT check first.

The only way to check cold starting, when looking at vehicle with view to buy , is to make sure engine is stone cold when you go to look. Open bonnet put hand on engine. Tell seller not to start engine before you get there at all.

When engine does start try and raise the rpms with accelerator a little for a couple of minutes and see if that helps the grumbles.

Check the injector leak off pipes are not leaking.

Good luck

Back