Technical 2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback SparkPlug

Currently reading:
Technical 2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback SparkPlug

PuntoGR

Hi,

2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback 1.2 L 8V (60HP)

I'm looking online to upgrade my spark plugs to iridium NGK and trying to match specs.
I have a pretty good idea that my current spark plugs are BKR5EZ
Why are some NGK's labelled as 12mm or 14mm thread dimeter for this model Punto ?
I find more options with the 14 mm thread diameter, will they fit ?

Anyone here ever hear about 12 mm thread diameter spark plug for a fiat punto ?

Yes, we did hear about 12 mm thread diameter spark plug for a Fiat Punto . That is what I have on my Punto mk2 produced in 2006.
There are indeed 12mm or 14mm thread dimeter spark plugs for Punto engines, it's an information that you hardly find details about (like if you try to find out which one do you have on your engine) and the best way to know which one you have is to take one down and measure it.
The iridium plugs (which I did not used, looked about them thinking to try, but didn't) are presented to be better and longer lasting but the price on them is absolutely bogus bananas. Regular plugs work just fine on Punto engine. NGK is a very good brand (probably the best) and if you put NGK or Magneti Marelli leads and MM coils, you will be very well set on this sparkling department, I don't think there is any need for the iridium plugs.
By the way, have you guys used the iridium plugs, what's the satisfaction level for using them?

With these fuel prices in Europe the upgrade in NGK iridium's or Ruthenium's is in order.

The fine electrode on a premium plug does make a difference.
The NGK electrode on my current spark plug is rather thick.
Finer electrode helps in fuel consumption, acceleration.
I can find the Iridium's for a good price, that's why I need to verify.

I have to ask my mechanic on viber as I'm out of the country now.
I can't verify myself.
Usually when I go to parts store they give me one type of spark plug made by NGK - the base model.

All I need to confirm is the: thread diameter for the 2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback 1.2 L 8V Gas and I can try some new spark plugs on the market that are not available in Europe. Is it 12 mm or 14 mm ?
I'm about 90% sure it's 14 mm. Just need to confirm.

Thread reach is: 19 mm,
Hex size is: 16 mm

B.T.W.
I used Ruthenium's on another vehicle. Excellent acceleration, Excellent Gas mileage.
The vehicle is responsive.

All I need to confirm is the: thread diameter for the 2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback 1.2 L 8V Gas and I can try some new spark plugs on the market that are not available in Europe. Is it 12 mm or 14 mm ?
I'm about 90% sure it's 14 mm. Just need to confirm.
Well, if you have now the plugs that you've mentioned in the first post, BKR5EZ, those are 14 mm.
I think you can make a search in ePER, using your car's VIN number and see what code you find for the plugs, just as a double-check.
Anyway, the "classic" let's say, Punto plug is the 14 mm. I think the 12 mm was introduces in 2004. The other details on it are the same as in the old plugs, just the thread diameter is thinner. The hex size is still 16 mm.
These are the specs for BKR5EZ:

NGK Spark Plug BKR5EZ (7642)
NGK spark plug part number BKR5EZ. NGK Stock Code 7642
Manufacturer - NGK
Thread Diameter [mm] 14,0
Spark Position [mm] 3
Spanner Size [mm] 16 mm
Thread Length [mm] 19 mm
Spark Plug
1 - Earthed Electrode, Fixed SAE connector, interference Suppression 5 kOhm, Nickel Middle Electrode, with gasket seat
ArtNr 7642
Electrode Projection - projected
Gap Size - Preset [mm] 0.9
Resistor - Yes
Seat Type - flat
Standard Type - ISO
Terminal Type - Solid
Part Type- Spark Plug

EAN: 0087295176429
Engine number TECDOC: 12790
Engine fabrication date: until 09/2004

Basically, have just replaced the plugs and leads on my 2003 (53plate) 1.2 8v 'active' with NGK plugs, (BKR5EZ) and NGK leads (RC-FT1208)
the plugs are defo 14mm thread, and 16mm socket head.
Found these are the best for the car, (had Bosch when I got it, so replaced them with Bosch), but garage recommended NGK as better. NGK 'seem' slightly better in terms of acceleration and power? (might just be me though??) Whole lot, plugs & lead set, just £25 inc delivery.

I wasn't able to use "ePER" to find specifics.
From what I read on line.
It's the post 2003 Punto models, in specific: the 16 V that have the 12 mm thread spark plug.
The 8v 2002 Punto's appear to have the 14 mm thread diameter spark plugs.

NGK 7642 BKR5EZ is a copper plug. The basic.
If your Punto is confirmed to be using a 14 mm thread diameter plug.
In these times of high gas mileage there's no shame or waste into installing:
NGK Ruthenium 94279

They are gapped to 0.8, the same as the NGK BKR5EZ: thread 14mm, hex 16 mm, thread reach 19 mm.
or NGK iridium.
There's no question that you will have better performance of upgraded plugs.
Here's the chart below:

MaterialCostPerformanceLifespanHighlights
Ruthenium$$$
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
· Ultimate Ignitability & Durability
· Fast Throttle Response & Best Cold Starts
Iridium$$
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
· Improved Starts & Acceleration
· More Power & Better Fuel Economy

I couldn't upload the whole chart. You get the idea.
Here's the rest:

Double Platinum$$
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
· Improved Efficiency
· Good For Waste Spark Systems
Platinum$
lightningBolt.png
lightningBolt.png
hourglass.png
hourglass.png
· Reduced Carbon Build-Up
· Good for Coil-On-Plug Systems

Copper$
lightningBolt.png
hourglass.png
· Good Conductor
· Least Durable

The Ruthenium 14 mm thread diameter plugs, the gap is: 0.44 (IN)
The BKR5EZ gap is: 0.32 (IN)

Do you think this will matter ? any risk of misfires if used in the Punto ?
Ruthenium is equivalent to BKR5EZ in everything except: gap.
- Both: Thread Reach & Hex Size are identical.

I don't think that the gap difference will cause you any malfunction. On my Punto, at first it was very har to find what plug gap should I use and I discovered that different brand makers have for the same engine different plug gaps, like 0.8 0.9 or 1.0 mm. I used over the time plugs with all this gaps and they've all worked the same. And the correct plug gap for my engine is 1.0 mm.
Plus, on this plugs you've mentioned, are different chemical materials so I don't think that they react absolutely the same at the same gap. That 0.44 in could be the exact equivalent for the other's 0.32 in.
I'd say that they will work just fine.

NGK BKR5EZ Gap: 0.32 (IN)
NGK Ruthenium 94279 Gap: 0.44 (IN)

NGK BKR5EZ Gap: 0.32 (IN)
NGK Ruthenium 94279 Gap: 0.44 (IN)
Yes, I saw those details in your post above.
My answer is in my post above.
0.32 [in]=8.128 [mm]
0.44 [in]=11.176 [mm]
Can't you find for the the list with the cars that those plugs are compatible for? That is just to completely get rid of all your worries in this regard.

On their page, here Fiat is not listed as possible fitment, but I don't think that that necessarily means they wouldn't work on Fiat, it might be not listed purely from commercial reasons. They do have LiveChat on the page, see if someone can answer your question.
You could also try to check from the cars they have listed under "Fitment" and see if you can identify a car with the same specs of engine like yours or one that uses as regular plugs, 0.32 in plug gap. And being given the ruthenium 94279 as fit, it means that they must work nice on Fiat, as well.
It's sure thing that you want to buy them to use on your car. If they work, buying them will be a nice gift for yourself and for your car. You will know 100% if they do work after you put them on your car. The worst outcome would be that they don't work on your engine, but then, you can make them a gift to someone around you, that has a car listed under "Fitment". That will be a really nice gift.

And one other thing. After I saw the picture of this ruthenium plug, I'd say that it looks to be made exactly as a regular plug and ruthenium is only on top of the electrodes. So, if necessary, you can modify the gap, you can make it smaller by pressing down the top of negative electrode, as you do on any plug.

And one other thing. After I saw the picture of this ruthenium plug, I'd say that it looks to be made exactly as a regular plug and ruthenium is only on top of the electrodes. So, if necessary, you can modify the gap, you can make it smaller by pressing down the top of negative electrode, as you do on any plug.
It is generally Reccomded to NOT adjust the gap on any precious metal plug

It is generally Reccomded to NOT adjust the gap on any precious metal plug
Yes, I know that and this is why I said "if necessary". I don't think it would be necessary though, as I've said above, I'm pretty sure those plugs will work very well just plug and play.

On another vehicle, unrelated to this.
I noticed: NGK Ruthenium, Iridium, Copper, Platinum's & Motorcraft Platinum's ALL had the same Gap on the vehicle's spark plug.

It might work though for the Punto. Iridium NGK 6341 is excellent too with the OEM specs of:
Gap Size0.032 in

Ruthenium 94279
Gap Size0.044 in

Ruthenium's saved lots of $$ in gas...seems like they minimized fuel consumption by at least 10%
I liked the acceleration....engine really roared !!!

Yes, I saw those details in your post above.
My answer is in my post above.
0.32 [in]=8.128 [mm]
0.44 [in]=11.176 [mm]
Can't you find for the the list with the cars that those plugs are compatible for? That is just to completely get rid of all your worries in this regard.
add another zero in front of both the 0.44 (IN) & 0.32 (IN)
It's 0.044 IN & 0.032 IN respectively.

Back