Technical 2002 Fiat Ducato 1.9D Non turbo Very slow?

Currently reading:
Technical 2002 Fiat Ducato 1.9D Non turbo Very slow?

drbpro

Hello..

I purchased this van a few months ago in desperation to keep my business going..

It is very slow..it struggles to get to 60mph and the slightest bit of wind and it slows down. Is this normal for this model of Ducato? The engine runs out of revs at low speed..Its had 6 previous owners and im not sure wether one of them has replaced the gearbox and put the wrong one in? Is it possible that another gearbox that fits would have a slightly different ratio? Is there a way to identify if i have the correct gearbox? The van is very reliable..starts everyday and runs excellent..1st and 2nd crunch but ive learnt to let the engine wind down and then change gear..its just bugging me as to why its so slooooowwwww..

Any help would be great

Regards

David Brooks :)

I've got the 1.9td, it's slow. On a motorhome, it struggles on hills, it struggles on motorways, well, it just struggles. I'm afraid I could only imagine the 1.9 non turbo would be even worse if you put any load in it.

The 1.9D is underpowered, but yours sounds extra slow! Favourite causes are air filter or fuel filter blocked up, exhaust blocked/flattened or EGR valve stuck open (if yours has an EGR valve). The filters are obvious things to change and best to blank off the EGR anyway. A gloved hand over the end of the exhaust when the engine is running should build up a lot of pressure very quickly or there is some sort of blockage in your exhaust.

Back