Technical 2000 Bravo 1.6 16v Trofeo - Stuttering/Misfiring after Engine Jet Wash

Currently reading:
Technical 2000 Bravo 1.6 16v Trofeo - Stuttering/Misfiring after Engine Jet Wash

Hi guys, Just bought a 2000 Bravo, 1.6 16v Trofeo from a work collegue...
Hes owned it for 8 years, full service history, 47k miles, absolutly mint, never drove above 30mph and still smells like new inside!

Was running fine for the 15mile trip home then myself and the gf cleaned it inside and out, i then jet washed/degreased the engine (with it running) fine...went out to the shops...then the problem started!
No power...sounds like its missing/stuttering "d d d d d d d r r r m m m m" instead of a smooth "drmmmmmm" when revving...struggled to get up even slight hills.
Poss sounds like its running on 2/3 cylindors...
Took it back home, cleaned the throttle body out, put new plugs in it, new air filter and bought new ignition leads...Also put high octane fuel in it and a tub of injector cleaner.. (as the injector light came on for a little while)

Still didn't run right but it was ALOT better...then after 2mins of revving it, it was fine again!! And injector light went off and has stayed off..
Took it out for a spin and it ran perfect!

The day after started it up, its running like a bag of spanners again...
Took it out and its got hardly any power again (better than before but still stutters)...then all of a sudden all power is back and its running fine....then it will start to run like a bag of spanners again...ARGHHH!!!!

Any ideas guys???!! Iv read that coil packs are a common failure...could this have failed because of the engine wash?
I know italian cars are prone to problems with water but I tried to keep away from the electrics...

I want to plug it in the diagnostics to check for faults, any ideas where the diagnostics port is? Iv heard its a 3 pin under the bonnet somewhere?

:bang:

Would have thought it would have dried out by now, I have steam cleaned mine twice in 6 years with no running problems, but jittery on 1st start up but fine once on the move and warmed up, no probs after either, I never washed it running though, as it is sucking air whilst it is running, have you gone around all the sensor conector blocks with an air hose just to push any water left over out.
You seem to have renewed the usuall culprits for miss firing apart from the coil, not so sure that is your problem, but check him anyway there was a guide on here and loads of threads about it giving readings and what to do with a multi meter, might be worth your while just checking, have a look around all the sensors and engine bay really to see if you can see sometihng you might have "washed off" conector wise, a jet was can be quite powerful, make sure your ECU is not wet and have a look at the plugs that it plugs into just to make sure they are dry, also check {never spell this right} Lamda Sensor on Exhaust just in case you washed [broke]a wire off it.

one of the buddies had a 1.6 marea and his car started miss firing after been washed to realise the ht leads got wet causing the misfire

Back