General 2000 2.8 (230) Oil Lamp at Idle?

Currently reading:
General 2000 2.8 (230) Oil Lamp at Idle?

umanemo

After the warm-up, the oil warning lamp has started flickering at traffic stops. Sometimes when I return to park up before turning off the engine the lamp stays on at idle. But if I give her a few revs, say from idle at 650 then up to 700 RPM, the lamp will go off. but I never see the lamp on at running speeds.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Get a mechanical gauge to check the pressure.. the lamp is warning of low pressure..

How old is the oil and filter?

That's a good direction. I have changed the oil and filter every year since the first kilometer. But I used a supermarket aftermarket filter without a brand name. I usually try to find MANN filters but was in a pinch. So this may be a reason for certain. I could do an oil/filter change and see if the problem goes away.

In thinking back to last August, I was headed to do my TUV(MOT) and did a short "Italian Tune-up" on the autobahn. I held the engine at 3,600 RPM for about 10 minutes while maintaining 90 Kmph in 4th gear. I passed the AU/HU exhaust emission test with flying colors. But I noticed a lot of oil had accumulated in the lower areas of the engine. I cleaned this up. But there have been persistent drips showing up ever since.

Do you think there is any relationship between these activities and the newly active Oil Pressure Warning at barely idle speed and not at running speed?

BTW, could I have blown the head gasket doing the "Italian Tune-Up"?

Reccomend doing oil and oil filter change now using branded parts as soon as you can.
Try and track down where oil is leaking from when doing oil / filter change.

Very much Doubt Italian tune up caused any issues so don't worry about that.

If you haven't changed coolant in last 5years do you that too.

Last edited:
Back