General 2 Questions

Currently reading:
General 2 Questions

majik

Hi

I am hoping for 2 questions to be answered.

1. How often should Gear Box oil be changed ? Mines probably never been done and car seems to clunk into first gear so wondering would this help and if not anything that would. All other gears are fine.

2. Heat shield rattles a lot when pulling away etc, any way of stopping this ? Looks like its rusted and snapped a little, been told that welding it back it pointless (Garage owner has one and welded his 5 times in a month lol) as it will snap again. Have seen Exhaust putty and wondered if i could use this if this is no good etc.

Last edited:
1 - 4 years/72k
2 - Depends how bad it is, will a larger washer not solve the problem? I just pull them off if they're rattling - they always fail sooner or later.

Well car is 12 years old but only 60k on clock so i will change oil anyways.

Heat sheild is rusted/snapped at a corner and not really anywhere near to a screw if i can remember rightly. Was thinking of using the exhaust putty on the break and seeing if it helps ??

The heat shields usually snap in the vicinity of the screw - like richie.guy wrote, I solved mine with a large washer that was able to pin down the snapped of part.

i haven't actually looked at it for about a month if im honest, will have a look tomoz and hopefully a washer will sort it then.

Well car is 12 years old but only 60k on clock so i will change oil anyways.

Oil changes are always time or mileage, whichever comes first.

Even a car 4 years old with 3k on it should have the oil done.

If its anything like rest of car then im guessing thats its never been done so will get it done next weekend.

Would the oil change stop the clunking into 1st or is there anything i can do to stop this.

Car had new clutch 3 months ago and clutch cable too.

if it had a new cable and clutch then it could still need the cable adjusting now, as it would've stretched in use.

does it do similar going into reverse?

Not from what i remembered but i will ask the Mrs her car and that.

Like you have to push down further on clutch or double push to get into first etc ?

which heat sheild are we talking about? the ones attached to the car underneath, or the one attached to the cat?

My cat sheild came loose at one end, and rattled at a certain engine rpm, so I wire brushed it cleaner and just put a couple of blobs of weld on it, it was ok at the time but eventually went again, I put a very large jubilee clip around it, been ok since.

Heat sheild round the cat, Will see if i have a big enough jubilee clip and try that.

Well surely cable would be atjusted by Mr clutch as they fitted it and only 2 weeks ago checked it as part of warrenty etc, How easy is it to adjust.

Working atm so not got Haynes book, Am going to do exhaust and clutch and gear oil at weekend i fink as car wont be used much until then and im on bloddy nites so bit hard to get it done really.

Ok guys, had a quick look at car today as i will be working on it tomoz so jacked it up ready.

Their are no screws on Cat Shield, Is this normal ? What size Jubilee clip did you use Levemir as i will need to buy 2 tomoz.

With regards to gear box oil, where is the drain plug etc that i should be looking for to top it up. Had a quick look today before leaving for work but nothing was very obvious ??

Their are no screws on Cat Shield, Is this normal ? What size Jubilee clip did you use Levemir as i will need to buy 2 tomoz

guard is welded on to the cat

dunno what size exactly, something around 3 inch diameter, I attached mine to the end of the cat [furthest from engine] where the guard tapers in to the pipe, if the clip is too big its not a problem, as you will be able to tighten it up and tuck the spare bit out of the way, you should easily see where the welds have failed on the guard itself.

you could also get a massive one [plumbers] if you wanted, and wrap it round the centre of the cat

Last edited:
Mine has snapped furthest away from engine too, I will see if the one i have at home is big enough, doesn't look it but if not where is a place i can pick them up (Halfords/Homebase/B&Q)

Yeah i saw the massive ones on ebay, was thinking of just putting smaller one each end etc as that should hold it enough. Not going to fall off etc just rattling and driving misses mad lol.

Don't have local hardware store so b & q it is

Cheers mate

Back