Technical 2.8 jtd injection pump removal

Currently reading:
Technical 2.8 jtd injection pump removal

how do I remove the injection pump on my 2002 2.8 jtd
My memory is a little out of date and in most cases I was overhauling Iveco Dailys with the same Sofim 2.8 engine around 18 years ago. So others here may give more relevant advise.
I am assuming pre common rail so timing required. So with injector pipes and fuel cut off solenoid/immobiliser wiring etc removed, remove cam belt cover and set and lock valve timing, it may be an idea to mark the injector pump pulley/belt and also pulley in relation to centre shaft if intending to remove just centre nut, there are three bolts holding pump to housing and there may be a extra support bracket underneath the pump to block.
The three bolts securing pump are in a slot so it may be advisable to mark pump to housing.
Before releasing shaft from pulley, from memory there is a bolt on front top of pump that has a bracket under it , if bolt and bracket/spacer removed and bolt alone refitted I think it locks the pump to keep the timing, however if pump being worked on that will affect timing position.
What was the reason to remove the pump? If going onto another engine it may be possible to fit the entire housing with oil pump/filter/power steering pump/vacuum pump etc as a unit by just undoing the six long bolts into the engine block and just redoing cam belt timing. Just make sure all the O rings are good.
On the Ducato engine I fitted in my boat I optimised the injection timing using the spill port method.

@applecountykid,
I have to disagree with @bugsymike. The "jtd" suffix indicates a common rail engine. Hence there are no timing considerations.
Not having had the need to remove the hp pump from my own 2.8jtd, I have consulted my Fiat eLearn CD, which is of uncertain provenance, and also some pages separately downloaded from an Iveco Daily manual in 2019.

The hp pump is a cmponent of a sub assembly, which also includes oil pump, oil cooler, oil filter mounting,power steering, and vacuum pumps. The Iveco version of the 2.8jtd differs from the Fiat version in being mounted longditudinally. On the Iveco Daily version of the engine, the oil filter mounting is vertical. In the Iveco manual the procedure is to remove the complete sub assembly, and strip it on the bench. More of a workshop overhaul approach.

I will attach pdf prints of the eLearn removal procedure, and a page from the Iveco manual, which relates to refitting the pump.

May I ask why you need to remove the pump?

Attachments

• 2.8jtd hp fuel pump removal.pdf
    280.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.8JTD p105 Injection Assembly.pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 39
Apologies for my assumptions re common rail:), most of my involvement was Ivecos with the 2.8 engine some did have commonrail but depending on when registered may have been change over at 2002 and of course not known as JTD, the Ducato 122hp version I had was a 1997/8 Maxi van pre commonrail and ECU that I marinised.

Back