Technical 2.3 Multijet 130 vs 150 Mechanical Similarities

Currently reading:
Technical 2.3 Multijet 130 vs 150 Mechanical Similarities

Spatch1969

Hi All,

So I have eventually chosen a 2.3 Multijet 130 powered motorhome. For a number of reasons, I am thinking I might get a remap.

I am very aware of the risks involved with a remap but I have the following question.

The 2.3 150 engine is obviously more powerful but is still the same capacity. I am aware that the turbo is different on the 130 to the 150 engine, but I am wondering if there are any other mechanical differences? Obviously, the ecu map is different between the two but this is software.

My logic is that if the rest of the mechanicals are identical (pistons, conrods, crank, clutch, flywheel, gearbox etc) then as long as I do not go over the power and torque figures of the 150 engine with the remap (of the 130) then the risk of damage should be very minimal.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind of the same but different. I had a 1.9tdi Seat Alhambra 115hp. The same engine came in 90hp and 130hp variants. The differences were 2 different inlet manifolds, 3 type different injectors, 3 different turbos and 3 maps. The basic engine did not change.

I swapped in a set of 130 injectors into my 115 and it made a huge difference to acceleration. The medium size turbo spooled up faster than the large would and this took advantage of the extra fuel being delivered. Had zero effect on emissions to when brought for it's annual test.

You may wish to check the following, but I believe it to be true from a combination of published figures and advice from elsewhere.

The Euro V versions of the 130 and 150 engines shared the same gearbox and ratios.

The Euro VI versions, however, most definitely run with different ratios for the 130/150 versions.

The torque characteristics of the 150 Euro VI engine vary noticeably from those of the Euro V, and the maximum torque figure is higher. I am told that this (now) higher figure exceeds the maximum design for the previous gearbox, and that the current 150 has a different, more robust design box. (MLGU, as previous, on the 130, M40 now on the 150)

Whether this latter is true or not, I can't vouch, but the gearbox "feel" is very different between the Euro V and Euro VI versions.

Thanks Guys,

That's exactly the info I am looking for. The engine is the Euro V 130, so according to you (HughJampton) the gearbox, clutch, flywheel etc should be the same?

Do you have any knowledge on the injector sizes as per Torqs comments above?

Thanks.

Thanks for that Torq, very interesting.

It is going to take a bit of deciphering I think. It isn't immediately obvious what is fitted to which engines (at least to me at the moment). There appear to be a number of different options, and similarities across all engines.

The engine is the Euro V 130, so according to you (HughJampton) the gearbox, clutch, flywheel etc should be the same?

Thanks.

...can't confirm that, but my suspicion would be so.

I've recently moved from a Euro V 150 to a Euro V1 150, and downloaded the current tech specs following debate to confirm that the 150 gearbox ratios/final drive have been changed for the Euro VI, and are no longer the same as the 130 (except the 130 Comfortmatic).

I'm working from (advised) memory re the Euro V versions, but I am 99% sure that the 130/150 used the same ratios for that version. (Actually, I've just found a German archive for the Euro V which confirms it).

Thanks HughJampton,

So with that, I cannot see any reason not to go for the remap, as long as I don't exceed the 150 engines torque and power figures. I am assuming when you say "the same ratios" you mean the mechanicals of the gearbox, clutch, flywheel, final drive etc are all the same (I.e hardware is identical and would be interchangeable between 130 and 150?)

Many thanks again.

Last edited:
Fiat specifications indicate that the gearbox ratios and final drive ratios are shared by both versions for the 130/150.

Things are less certain for clutch/flywheel. It would appear that some versions of the 130 were fitted with the same clutch as the 150, but some weren't.

Perusal of the following might give some clues, as the replacement parts are identified by engine number ranges.

https://webcat.schaeffler.com/web/schaeffler/en_GB/PKW/35/5632/applicationSearch.xhtml

For manual transmission, the Euro V 150 resolves to a single option, the 130 to three (one superseded) options (defined by engine number), one of which is the same as the 150.

Thanks Hugh, I will look through that. Sadly, it doesn't sound like it is clear cut. I will have to wait until I pick the van up to get the engine number.

Thanks again.

Back