Technical 2.0 20V - vibration through bulkhead

Currently reading:
Technical 2.0 20V - vibration through bulkhead

Marea147

Hi, I have been experiencing two problems that I believe are related. Firstly, when driving across a grass or other bumpy area, I get a knocking noise through the bulkhead, which can also be felt through the steering wheel.
Second problem, which I believe is the same fault, is a vibration which can be felt through the steering and bulkhead at speed (70+mph). I also notice a feeling of the vehicle being sensitive to steering influence when driving over bumps or undulations at speed.

My local garage has checked all obvious things, such as suspension, bushes, rack mounts etc, but found nothing amiss....

Could it be the subframe bushes - Are they hard to see? could they have missed something here?

My wife is now refusing to drive the car, and the garage still insists there is nothing amiss!!!

Hi and welcome to our forum :)

Drop links and bushes are the usual culprits.

Other things that may cause those symptons in certain cases could be drive shafts, struts or shocks. Sensitive steering could also be tracking or camber.

Have the shocks/springs been replaced recently? Are they the correct ones?

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Good luck :)

check the ball joints, for the knocking on the grass, and get all 4 wheels balanced if that doesnt stop it rotate the back wheels to the front that will then rule out a warped wheel.

thanks neil

Back