Technical 1997 fiat Brava 1.4 12v won't start? Help!

Currently reading:
Technical 1997 fiat Brava 1.4 12v won't start? Help!

Hi

The problems an be:
1. HT cables not ok
2. Water coolant temperature sensor
3. Knock sensor
4. TP sensor

You can check most of them by yourself.
I think that soon you will be facing loss of power problems

hope this helps

hiya
i have same light problem same your..hv u sort out yet? let me know if u know what the problem cheers

i also hav this problem but mine is quite serious or so i think, so heres the story, loss of power, petrol rich fumes from the exhaust, engine cuts out and shudders, high revs at times for no reason and back firing from the exhaust and absolutly eating petrol. i cant drive it at the moment, its to bad. what could this be? it like the engine is getting to much fuel, there is an after market induction system on it, could it be getting to much air?? any advice very much appreciated thanks.:bang:

First thing to do is check that the cam belt has not jumped a notch or two.
If all ok try changing the MAP sensor.
Either the vacuum is low or the ecu thinks the vacuum is low.
Tony.

First thing to do is check that the cam belt has not jumped a notch or two.
If all ok try changing the MAP sensor.
Either the vacuum is low or the ecu thinks the vacuum is low.
Tony.
Tony, there is no MAP or MAF sensor on the 1.4 12valve. It uses engine RPM, Throttle anlge and water temperature sensors during acceleration. Probably one of the reasons why its not great on fuel for its size 1370cc.

Last edited:
Oops! thats not even in my reference.
Tony.

mine had similar symptoms , fuel mix too rich , temp dial always cold, always on choke .. loss of power. oinjector light continued to come on when cold engine.

after a lot of playing it turned out to be the coolant thermostat. i changed that and it works fine .

i have the problem like you, here so i checked my ecu that shows the problem is: classic crank position sensor.

you need to replace it and the problem will go away...^^

Hi there,

I've a 1998 FIAT Brava 1.4 12V. Everything running fine till a few weeks ago, it started to misfire. During cold start, it runs fine for a few seconds then started to misfire and when engine warm, its less frequent and become intermittent. I had the spark plugs replaced with new ones, still the same. Tried with another coil pack and HT leads, not successful, also noticed a light black smoke when acclerating, its like the single-point injector is sending too much fuel or firing not done properly. Had the injector cleaned, still not good. What do you suggest?

:confused:

The same happens to me and I don't know yet what's the cause... have you changed anything lately? (timing belt for example)

Back