IMG_4676.JPG

Panda (Classic) 1993 Fiat Panda Fizz "Pandino"

Introduction

Hey everyone, let me introduce you to my first car! :)

The car is a 1993 Fiat Panda Fizz, 999cc engine with fuel injection, only 26,000 miles at the time of buying. Nicknamed "Pandino" by the previous owner, and I'll make sure that name sticks! :D

Pictures are compulsory of course, so I've attached some of my first images that I've taken of the car. You'll likely find various other pictures in this thread when I get some things done to it! I attached the pictures to this post and I've uploaded one to the gallery so that I can have this one embedded! :rolleyes:
DSC_000824.JPG

*Following list is from original post, more has been done since, read thread for more*
What have I done already? Well I haven't even had the car for a couple of days yet, but I've done a few things...
  1. Used upholstery cleaner on the dirty ceiling, definitely needs some more though!
  2. Figured out how to do everything (i.e. parcel shelf removal, putting seats down, seat positions, mirrors etc)!
  3. Cleaned all the windows and mirrors!
  4. Checked all fluids and oil levels!
  5. Checked all lights/buttons!
  6. Checked tyre pressures, which I might decrease in the rear as they're running quite high!
  7. Took out the spare wheel/tyre, gave it a good clean but it is showing it's age, though it's been pumped up so it'll get me home if I need it now!
  8. Took the seal/cover off the heater matrix to remove the forest that was growing within it...
  9. Tried taking off the grille but couldn't get one of the centre poppers off and the front screws look a bit rounded off...
  10. Ran the car and moved it on the driveway!
  11. Put a blanket, a bag, a tool extension and a first aid kit in the boot!

*Following list is from original post, read thread for more*
What I plan to do next...
  1. Clean, clean, clean!
  2. Hopefully obtain new badges for the front and rear as all are discoloured!
  3. Try and clean the garage to fit the car in (or more likely at this time, find a suitable car cover for it)!
  4. Seal doors to prevent rust!
  5. Get some touch up paint for areas where paint has come away!
  6. Buy some Fiat Forum stickers of course!
  7. Potentially buy new number plates or at least replace some screws as they're looking a bit worn!
  8. What ever else I end up thinking of... follow the thread and read for more!

I also plan to go to some Panda classic events with others. I'll keep an eye out, but feel free to invite me to something if you've got something/see something going on!

That's about all I can think of right now! It feels so strange having a car, I'm very happy to have bought a car I really wanted. I've been looking for ages. :worship: If you have any questions about it then please do ask! I'm very happy to talk about my car! (y)
Looks great well done! Did you clear coat lacquer it as well?
Cheers Andy! I haven't done so yet, but I take it that it would be a good idea to do so? I'll have to pick some up when I next pick up some more racing red perhaps, as I'll be picking that up to do my last little fix on the corner of the paint first :)
yes indicator lenses and tacho are in my car ready fella.. Of course being a fiat it was way harder than you'd expect to get the lenses off lol.. stupid plastic headed screws - they were always gonna go brittle and become useless, fiat do like to test my patience sometimes.
Have a feeling my lenses will go the same way then! I think there's barely a screw on my Panda that isn't rounded off or brittle or something else that makes it a massive pain in the arse... but, I do think that the clear ones may look good with the car. We'll see what happens tomorrow, I'll see you then! (y)
You must have hell of a lot of spare time mate.

Mk2 pre '93 grill in std black all the way, mk1 grill on mk2 have that odd angle - still looks smart. Clear indicators will make it look even better.
What next? 40mm drop and set of minilites?
I suppose that's in reference to a chat with insurance being "quick"... yeah, it does usually seem to go quite the opposite. I've sent a PM out to someone from my insurer so hopefully I can get it sorted relatively easily without having to pick up the phone to be on it for half a year :rolleyes:

Mk2 (pre) grille is nice and it was an option, but I went for the mk1 just to be a little more different from the crowd... I know people have done it before, but I do like it, and that's what matters. May get the mk2 pre-grille one day as well, after all, it's all interchangable ;) I can change from the mk1 to mk2 in a matter of minutes, though changing from the mk2 to mk1 is currently undecided. Need to get on to that mounting :idea:

I did consider going with Pi or Spax for springs (30-40mm lower) but adding shock absorbers as well would put me a bit out of pocket. I'll focus on passing my driving test and doing my touch ups to the car first, then we'll see what happens after, but maybe lower springs will be the plan for it one day! :slayer:

As for wheels, all sorts I'd like. Fiat Uno Turbo wheels really got me going, but again it comes down to money and insurance. Don't think I'd do minilites though. We'll have to wait and see :cool:

Last edited:
So today, I cleaned up the front of the grille and gave it a few coats of Halfords Fiat Racing Red, turned out not half bad (y) Only problem is that I messed up one of the corners with some overspray, then made a crap attempt at fixing it... I ran out of paint so I'll have to fix that one some time but for now it'll do :slayer:

Removed the old grille fairly easily now I know the trick to it. Put it in a drawer till I decide what I'll do with it (going to keep it in case I want to switcheroo).

The new grille is now fitted with a couple of zipties. Bar painting that last little corner again, the only thing left to do is properly fit it and have a quick chat to insurance about it! Hopefully all goes well with that, and the badge for it should be in the post now :D

Tomorrow, I'll be seeing blu73 for a chat and that tacho... and potentially a switch of indicators lenses. But as he already knows, I'm a bit indecisive, so we'll have to see about that one ;)

Love the look of your new red front!
Well done

Re: 1993 Fiat Panda Fizz "Pandino"

Yes mate lacquer is a must! Not only will it give a further 50% protection against rust but without the clear coat the dirt and bugs will stick to the paint and you won't be able to wash them off!

Be sure to get it done asap for best results, and wipe over the grill before you do it with diluted thinners in order to remove grease or traffic film :)

Two to three coats applied thinly with a good length of drying time before reinstalling.

Love the look of your new red front!
Well done
Cheers luk! :D
Yes mate lacquer is a must! Not only will it give a further 50% protection against rust but without the clear coat the dirt and bugs will stick to the paint and you won't be able to wash them off!

Be sure to get it done asap for best results, and wipe over the grill before you do it with diluted thinners in order to remove grease or traffic film :)

Two to three coats applied thinly with a good length of drying time before reinstalling.
Thanks for the tips, Andy! Does sound like the best thing to do, will pick it up when I go for some more racing red paint - when I've finished the grille completely, I'll apply those coats of lacquer (y)
blu73 was around yesterday, it was nice meeting you and talking about all kinds of things - thanks again for the rev counter and indicator covers. I'll have to put it all in at some point, I'll have to chase around for how to deal with the counter but I'll get there eventually... :cool:

Took a while to scrape off some sticky back that was left from my vehicle pass from a media event at Castle Combe... all off now!

Looking at getting that paint and lacquer soon, just need to pop into Halfords next time I'm near. Just wondering whether to go a normal kind of black, a Fiat black or a Hammerite based black for the sills and for the underneath of the rear seats. Suppose Hammerite would probably be best for durability on those!

---

Story Time!

Today, I was driving the car back home, and popped to the local chippie before I got back. I was sitting there and not half a minute gone by, a man crossed the road and approached my car, saw him wave in the mirror so I wound down my window, always enjoyed talking to people about the car so thought it might be that!

Turns out it very much was so. He asked me how long I have had the car and gave me good remarks about the condition. What I was then surprised to hear was that he said his son restores Pandas... I had a sneaky suspicion that I knew who that was ;)

My father asked where his son was based and turns out it was Hampshire, so I asked the man if his name was Vernon and turns out it was! Such a coincidence, I knew Vern had family here but didn't expect to meet them!

Didn't get much chance to talk more than that but I'm sure I'll see him around some more at some point. VmanC suppose I should tag you in this, supposing your father hasn't told you already! (y)

---

Attached a picture of the car outside the chippie. That mk1 grille will be on soon, insurance says I can put it on now so got to get around to properly mounting it, badge has arrived for it now but I need the paint and lacquer! :slayer:

Attachments

• cijykya.jpg
    cijykya.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
As they were plastic screws, would it not have been easier to drill the heads off carefully ?

They are a plastic-headed metal screw, the most awful type ever considered. When the heads snap off instantly there is just a flat plate left behind and it's too far back to slot or anything like that.

Great story, funny who you end up meeting out in a Panda!

Story Time!

Today, I was driving the car back home, and popped to the local chippie before I got back. I was sitting there and not half a minute gone by, a man crossed the road and approached my car, saw him wave in the mirror so I wound down my window, always enjoyed talking to people about the car so thought it might be that!

Turns out it very much was so. He asked me how long I have had the car and gave me good remarks about the condition. What I was then surprised to hear was that he said his son restores Pandas... I had a sneaky suspicion that I knew who that was ;)

My father asked where his son was based and turns out it was Hampshire, so I asked the man if his name was Vernon and turns out it was! Such a coincidence, I knew Vern had family here but didn't expect to meet them!

Didn't get much chance to talk more than that but I'm sure I'll see him around some more at some point. VmanC suppose I should tag you in this, supposing your father hasn't told you already! (y)

---

Attached a picture of the car outside the chippie. That mk1 grille will be on soon, insurance says I can put it on now so got to get around to properly mounting it, badge has arrived for it now but I need the paint and lacquer! :slayer:

Hi Owen,

Yes my Dad phoned me up last night to tell me he'd met you, full of praise for your Panda too!

I grew up opposite that chippy, strange to have it mentioned on here :)

Great story, funny who you end up meeting out in a Panda!
It certainly is Andy, I've met several great people already! It's nice how many people approach you in a Panda!
Hi Owen,

Yes my Dad phoned me up last night to tell me he'd met you, full of praise for your Panda too!

I grew up opposite that chippy, strange to have it mentioned on here :)
Must be strange to see my Panda out front of the place too then! I'm sure I'll see you down there one day (y)

Sounds like he did like the Panda, I'm glad he did :cool:
is that near the co-op Owen? Like literally a stones throw from your house?
Nope, from my house you join the main road and go left, then it's one of the turnings right before the next set of double roundabouts - there's a chippy there by the name of Lee's! Been a while since I last went there but glad I did :D

There is a Lee's chippy there and a chinese takeaway and a chinese restaurant (seperate from takeaway weirdly, you can even get a takeaway from the restaurant instead of the actual takeaway and its miles nicer). But I know that they own other places in Wiltshire so probably the same owner. I used to live pretty much right next to that takeaway when I lived in Melksham ;)

There is a Lee's chippy there and a chinese takeaway and a chinese restaurant (seperate from takeaway weirdly, you can even get a takeaway from the restaurant instead of the actual takeaway and its miles nicer). But I know that they own other places in Wiltshire so probably the same owner. I used to live pretty much right next to that takeaway when I lived in Melksham ;)
Vern next to the one in Chippenham, you next to the one in Melksham! Coincidences eh... though this has drifted a bit towards Lee's than it has Pandino now! ;)

---

Today I dropped in to Halfords and bought some more Fiat Racing Red for touchups and the grille, some Satin Black for the undersides and under the rear seats, and some clear lacquer for the grille when it's done!

Attached a picture of the badge I ordered for the grille. It's a bit, say, unconventional, but I'm not the mainstream sort of guy... (y)

Attachments

• VITVyzQ.jpg
    VITVyzQ.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
Vern next to the one in Chippenham, you next to the one in Melksham! Coincidences eh... though this has drifted a bit towards Lee's than it has Pandino now! ;)

---

Today I dropped in to Halfords and bought some more Fiat Racing Red for touchups and the grille, some Satin Black for the undersides and under the rear seats, and some clear lacquer for the grille when it's done!

Attached a picture of the badge I ordered for the grille. It's a bit, say, unconventional, but I'm not the mainstream sort of guy... (y)

Love it!
Well done[emoji106][emoji7][emoji1360]

Re: 1993 Fiat Panda Fizz "Pandino"

Hey Andy, I've got the lacquer now but my can says I need to use wet and dry paper on the surface to get a matte finish before I spray the lacquer over it... should I do this, or just clean and then spray over the racing red as it is anyway?

I do have a few little spots that look like they have more paint on than others when I look at the grille in the light. Not sure if I should use the wet and dry paper to get rid of that or if I should just leave it or maybe put another coat on. Don't want to go too crazy though!

---

Underneath of the rear seats is now mostly prepped for painting. Sanding and wire brush got rid of most the surface rust, got my black paint ready for when I get around to it!

---

Opinions!?
My Fiat Abarth badge that I'll put on the grille only just goes over both holes. Should I line it up as perfectly as possible to go over both holes on the grille, or should I put the Fiat Abarth one on one hole and get the separate Abarth scorpion badge for the other hole? I think it may look a bit overkill, but I'm not sure.

Even with the badge posititioned almost perfectly, the tape won't be covering the holes, I don't think that will be an issue but thought I'd ask anyway!

Cheers all :)

Back