General 1990 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley Project - Parts Needed!

Currently reading:
General 1990 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley Project - Parts Needed!

CamelToephy

Hello

This is my first post, but I've been looking at the forum for the past few weeks as it seems like a great resource for a project I've got in mind, and it's definitely helped me in my decision to buy my 1990 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley, which I'm pretty pleased with! Especially as it was under £1,200, is taxed and ticketed as in in pretty good shape mechanically as well as bodily!

I'm planning on driving it to Mongolia next year as part of The Mongol Rally which has over 300 entrants and looks to be a real laugh, and also I've been looking at a drive down through Spain, across to Morocco and then over The Atlas Mountains for a bit of Sahara action.

The plan is to strip and refit/respray as a mini Camel Trophy tribute vehicle, but there are a few parts I'd like to get hold of to bring this to life, some are kind of rare, but hopefully some of you friendly guys can point me in the right direction to source some of these parts (or maybe you have them for sale?) and also give me some pointers/advice along the way?

What I'd love to get hold of as soon as feasibly possible are:

- Original Panda Front & Rear Bullbars
- Original Panda Front & Rear Light Guards
- Original Panda Tent (really rare I know!)

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone that can help, and I'll be posting photos of the restoration as things progress.

Thanks for taking the time read this (if you've got this far!)

Cheers,

Jon

Will it be returning to the UK after the Mongolia rally :confused:

I would say - yes, as the import tax to Mongolia of such a old vehicle would be reallllly high, rough figures up to $5000.
Mongolian Ministry of Transport had enough "scrap/ banger cars" abandoned at their lovely country. Only cars no older then 10 years can be imported and donated (lower import tax still apply), vans and utility vehicles (i.e. ambulances, fire engine) are free of import tax.

If @CameL Teophy don't know the import tax situation it would be advise to seak for some info, Mongol Rally is not a "profit free" organisation - they make hell lot of monney each year ( 300 crews, each £1k entry fee - £300k just for nothing)
@CameL Toephy - please have a look for Mongolia Charity Rally instead of Mongol Rally - same trip, 100% charity, lower entry fee starting from £99.

Specified panda parts on its own are over £500.

Regards

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your trip sounds exciting, but sure to keep us up to date with preparation progress and pictures!

As mentioned, the parts you are wanting are as rare as rocking horse shoes - it took me two years to find a front bull bar for mine. Keep searching on ebay though and I'm sure one will come up, although I hope your pockets are deep as they have been known to go for around £200.

Have you done any off-road driving in your Panda yet?

We will also be requiring some pictures of your car so be sure to post some up when you can :)

A few years ago anyone mentioning the rally would have got hate mail for taking a panda. This has now changed as the 10 year rule kicked in. Doesn't stop you selling elsewhere though. As for the parts you want DO NOT bother..they may look cool, but will add so much weight to the car and are not needed. You really need to save as much weight as possible!! This will save on the suspension and engine and cooling. I kid you not, once you put your other gear in the car it will make the difference of if you make the end of the trip or not. The panda tent is too big and heavy...forget it. I like to think I know what I'm talking about as I have not only done a rally, but will this Friday begin a round the world trip in my prepped Toyota.

Others on here know that I did the Plymouth to Bamako rally in a 1990 Nissan Micra. Great fun and the car never missed a beat even with no roads, three days in the Sahara and crossing rivers.

I will be surprised if you need to use the 4wd as such cars are light and work just as well in normal 2wd as ours was.

Good luck with the rally and don't forget to post an ongoing thread here with lots of pics as you go..... Plus please bring the car home, after all you will bond with it on the journey.

Last edited:
i agree with purple haze.. in fact i would go as far as saying if there's bits you do not need in the car (such as rear seats) remove them. the lighter the better.

i know it was not much, but i drove my 4x4 sisley up to Scotland with no bul bars, no roof rack, no back seats and even no 4x4 prop shaft. from Derby to Aberfeldy. i did the whole trip on 40L of fuel!

I've seen purple haze's toyota and can tell you that, that thing would go around the world multiple times... oh and PH.. we got one of those fridges in the end ;)

have a great trip and please do get lots of photos!

Thanks First Car

Yep, I'd already had a good at Camel after I'd had teh idea and checked to see if anyone else had done one.

He's done an amazing job...but too minty for what I have in mind, I'd be scared to use that anywhere than on good roads here in UK!

I'm envisaging mine looking a little more rugged and a little less shiny. The paint finish will be in the official Sandglow livery, but will have a matt finish as opposed to a high-shine.

Great for inspiration though, and lovely to see a vehicle that has been so painstakingly restored, I'm full of admiration for him, and the car!

Thanks again

Jon

Hi MEP

Yes, the guys who run the Mongol Rally are offering a ship-back option from this year. So all vehicles can be shipped back to Lithuania, and picked-up from there.

I have a few mates that can't make the whole trip, but are up for flying out and driving her back through Poland, etc as that will only take a week or so and quite a bit of fun.

Hi Kolza

Thanks for your post.

I work with (and occasionally for) the guys that run the Mongol Rally, and you'd be pretty surprised at the money it costs to put on and all the logistical costs both here and in Mongolia. The launch party alone costs in excess of £50K, and then there's all the staffing costs, overheads, administration costs in multiple countries, etc...it's no small undertaking...and it doesn't come cheaply..what does these days, eh?

And you're right, The Adventurists aren't a not-for-profit organisation, but they help raise literally millions of pounds every year for charities across The World, and the whole ethos of the company is extremely altruistic.

Anyway, that aside thanks for your post, it's all good info to know.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi AndyPanda

Will definitely be posting photos of the work along the way, and I can imagine I'll be on here a fair bit tapping you guys up for useful tips and info!

Off the back of my initial post I've already sourced the front and rear bullbars at a great price from Allen (thanks Allen), but as I'd feared, the tent is probably an ask too far...

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:
Back