Photo0586.jpg

Panda (Classic) 1982 Panda 45

Introduction

Howdy all!

Well you know how I said I'd just moth ball the old '82 rescued panda...turns out I am not good at leaving something alone so work has begun! Well basically just tidying the car up and trying to find out where the real rust is (not too hard to find now though :eek:).

So this was the story so far:
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/311995-mk1-dilemma.html

And here she is now with the new correct yet old grille back on leaving me with the tasty original post 84 mk1 plastic grille as a spare / replacement for Chichi:
Photo0586.jpg

Better to have the original grille fitted anyway. The paintwork is in fantastic condition too, got a real shine to it even after years of storage (probably out of sunlight I would guess).

Engine bay was grubby as hell so have given it a very quick clean and it's all looking quite promising underneath.
Photo0588.jpg

Re-fitted the tail-lights (I think I can repair the broken indicator lens using a cut and shut technique :devil:

Majority of glass is now all cleared up (that stuff gets everywhere!!) but it will still need a good hoover in the summer before I would risk riding this panda bare foot hahaha!!
Photo0591.jpg

Photo0592.jpg

Shame the parcel shelf has been smashed though, so rare!! :mad:

Rust wise some big holes in the rear left corner of the boot floor but nothing that cannot be fixed. Surprisingly the boot floor looks ok around the arches.

Almost looks like a car with an MOT right? :D
Reactions: a73uk and JamieK
I love the wash bottle that is a wash bag. What are the sills like?

Oh yeah :cool:

The washer I think might be controlled by a squirty pump inside the car too but unfortunately the nozzle is missing so not been able to test it!

Sills...inner aren't hideous I think but have not inspected very thoroughly yet. The outer sills might need some attention though! :eek: Feel like paper in a couple of places :rolleyes: Not to mention the massive gaping hole next to the rear arch.

I think outer sills will be easier to weld though, the marbella had some inner sill welding needed and it was the most painful and worst welding I've ever done!

Actually, lets not talk about sills. :eek:

Si

Nice work Si, it's not looking bad at all, there are far worse cars driving around I'm sure.

I might have a parcel shelf, will check if you're interested.

Thanks Vern, parcel shelf ay! Is it a mk1 type with the ribbed pattern? Although a non broken mk2 type would still be a good improvement :eek:

I'm more amazed that the hinges have survived these 30 years, my other 2 have suffered it seems as they seem so brittle and fragile. Maybe the 1982 ones were of a "pre-cost-down" design :p

Thanks Vern, parcel shelf ay! Is it a mk1 type with the ribbed pattern? Although a non broken mk2 type would still be a good improvement :eek:

I'm more amazed that the hinges have survived these 30 years, my other 2 have suffered it seems as they seem so brittle and fragile. Maybe the 1982 ones were of a "pre-cost-down" design :p

It's the very rare early type, and is as close to new as you could find. ;)

I must have read through this thread 100 times by now, Love mk1s! Any progress on this?

Ah, sorry I think I missed your post earlier this year! :eek:

I can confirm no progress made until today :D

Talking baby steps here but I picked up some glass this weekend courtesy of David and Andy ( aquamarine andyholli) and managed to get home in time to have the glass fitted (and just before the rain arrived :eek:). Thank you so much guys. Was great to chat Panda and your hospitality is second to none. I hope I can repay your kindness soon.

Anyway, some juicy pictures for y'all....
Photo2582.jpg

Photo2583.jpg

Si

Last edited:
Ah, sorry I think I missed your post earlier this year! :eek:

I can confirm no progress made until today :D

Talking baby steps here but I picked up some glass this weekend courtesy of David and Andy ( aquamarine andyholli) and managed to get home in time to have the glass fitted (and just before the rain arrived :eek:). Thank you so much guys. Was great to chat Panda and your hospitality is second to none. I hope I can repay your kindness soon.

Anyway, some juicy pictures for y'all....
Photo2582.jpg

Photo2583.jpg

Si

Nice update :) two more cracking guys than aquamarine and andyholli you would be pushed to find :)

I'm blushing with sheepish embarrassment here gentlemen. Thank you.

For me its about the cars and the community, I like both and get at least as much out of them as I put in.

Whether it's driving about or meeting interesting people, - long may we all (cars and community members) continue.

��

That looks like a lovely project, seats look more comfy than they were in my 82 Panda.

The Seats are from my Seat Marbella actually because the original seats were not sold with the car...which is a shame. But the design is pretty much the same. They aren't that comfy really on long journeys (like to Morocco as I found out :eek:), they are surprisingly supportive in the corners though :devil:

Back