1976 Fiat 128 engine number not matching

Currently reading:
1976 Fiat 128 engine number not matching

I purchased this 1976 Fiat 128 Custom 4 door sedan for renovation from Washington state, and so far I am full of surprises. The engine is not the factory original, although the marking on the back of the block below the coolant drain says: 128 A.1 FIAT. That is the 1,300 cc Fiat engine type.
The timing belt cover seems like missing some part - see photo.
There is a part above each spark plug that I have no idea what are they - see attached photo. Looks like they are dicommissioned by kinking the copper pipes on it.
Anybody has any idea what king of engine is this and came from what Fiat car model?
323243732_1505473146598309_4347579131399220345_n.jpg
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG

Oil pressure take off for gauge by looks of things, that engine was in all sorts of cars other than 128, but even in 128 guise you had the standard saloon, rally and coupe/3p and, if accepted as a 128 spyder, the X19

Oil pressure take off for gauge by looks of things, that engine was in all sorts of cars other than 128, but even in 128 guise you had the standard saloon, rally and coupe/3p and, if accepted as a 128 spyder, the X19
There's one of those doodahs above each spark plug. I wonder if they're knock sensors since this is a US model and is likely to have had all sorts of random fuel/ignition/emissions devices on it compared to what we're used to.

Similarly with the timing belt cover. I'd speculate that there was something else there once, that's not there any more. It could have been an air-conditioning pump (esp. given what might be additional emissions equipment.. potentially making this a California spec car, if it's not the standard "Federal" spec'...

Or (possibly) it was a fuel injection pump/system that has been binned in preference of the Weber 32... although why go to the trouble and not fit a twin-choke..? The standard Euro car had a single choke, so maybe it was a Europeanisation if/when the injection went to Boot Hill.

Ralf S.

There's one of those doodahs above each spark plug. I wonder if they're knock sensors since this is a US model and is likely to have had all sorts of random fuel/ignition/emissions devices on it compared to what we're used to.

Similarly with the timing belt cover. I'd speculate that there was something else there once, that's not there any more. It could have been an air-conditioning pump (esp. given what might be additional emissions equipment.. potentially making this a California spec car, if it's not the standard "Federal" spec'...

Or (possibly) it was a fuel injection pump/system that has been binned in preference of the Weber 32... although why go to the trouble and not fit a twin-choke..? The standard Euro car had a single choke, so maybe it was a Europeanisation if/when the injection went to Boot Hill.

Ralf S.
I found my US spec 128 manual, it only states:
a valve on the carb to do with emissions but on cold start, same on X19
Seat belt sensor
Detuned engine, again to do with emissions
Don’t think any injection models so, if it is, it’s off another car, possibly South American as the 128 went on far longer their and they had a 128 badged Abarth that was more highly tuned but, really, nothing to do with Abarth other than a badge…a bit like their coupe powered doblo rally car!

I see a marking on the engine 128 AC. 4315418. What the AC could mean?
That’s on the head? AC just forms part of the Fiat nomenclature, does A stand for Anno (year one of engine?)…used to be A/B/C, AS and moved onto ac/bc/cc and then Fiat just seemed to go crazy and apply one prefix changes for engines and another for car model changes…some prototype numbering, as you know, made it to production, as in X19 which is, essentially, a 128 spyder
So it’s an engine, first seen/designed for use in new model, associated parts (main engine, head etc) use the AC and 128 prefix
But these can appear in later models without number change, or with a prefix change such as 137 and eventually ended with the TorquE

That’s on the head? AC just forms part of the Fiat nomenclature, does A stand for Anno (year one of engine?)…used to be A/B/C, AS and moved onto ac/bc/cc and then Fiat just seemed to go crazy and apply one prefix changes for engines and another for car model changes…some prototype numbering, as you know, made it to production, as in X19 which is, essentially, a 128 spyder
So it’s an engine, first seen/designed for use in new model, associated parts (main engine, head etc) use the AC and 128 prefix
But these can appear in later models without number change, or with a prefix change such as 137 and eventually ended with the TorquE
OK, Thanks! I just keep researching...

Wikipedia has this for the 128 series of engines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_128_SOHC_engine

The engine design was/is really good and strong and as the table/history shows this base 128 engine was adapted and used in many fiat models with the 128 prefix being changed over the years. All still basically the 128 design.

Back