Technical 1972 Fiat Spider Sport 850 Hazards but No Turn Signals or Reverse Lights

Currently reading:
Technical 1972 Fiat Spider Sport 850 Hazards but No Turn Signals or Reverse Lights

cliftonparker

I'm switching my Spider over to LEDs and I have everything lighting up and the flashers work but no turn signals or reverse lights. I switched out the relay to a new model which has helped with voltage, but not with the turn signal or reverse lights. Any thoughts on what might be the issue? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpeg
    IMG_6966.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
In the past the flasher relays had written on them the wattage of the lights it worked with so if a bulb blew or was the wrong type it affected the operation.
If that is the case, it may have a preference for non LED bulbs.
Plus earlier pre Hazard lights different relays were used as didn't have to contend with flashing both sides at the same time.:)

I can't say I really understand what it is that you're trying to convey, but here are the two different relays I tried and neither seemed to fix the blinker issue. I have hazards, but no turn signals. Also, are the side lights supposed to flash with the turn signals?

I am talking about earlier 1960s and 70s vehicles with original flasher units, such as this which as you can see has the wattage written on it. They often had 21x2 as in two 21watt 12volt indicator bulbs or an extra +( 21x2) if hazard lights fitted. If wrong or blown bulbs it affected flashing rate. At the time the law here was for MOT tests flashes between 60 and 120 per minute.
The two listing you have shown are after market units, but the bottom one at least seems adjustable and better able to cope with LEDs.
The information I was giving was based on my experience working from the late 1960s onwards on UK vehicles and where sidelights do not flash by law although I am aware that different systems are used in US.Apart from all this, given the age it is quite possible some one rewired things wrong at some time.:)
1713164316744.png

Here is the one that came out of the car. But why would the flashers/hazards work but the turn signals wouldn't?

Attachments

• IMG_5691.JPG
    IMG_5691.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Here is the one that came out of the car. But why would the flashers/hazards work but the turn signals wouldn't?
The 42 Watt would indicate it is only a flasher unit as in 2 x 21 watt bulbs and not a hazard also, unless it gives a extra bit of information saying that, however usually that would just mean it would work but at the wrong flash rate.
A common issue on hazard lights is the switch it's self goes faulty and has trouble changing from one job to the other.
Sometimes spraying the inside of it with electrical spray and working it vigorously several times can get it to work, but if not then a replacement part would be needed.
If suspect switch it should be possible to test using a multimeter.:)

The 42 Watt would indicate it is only a flasher unit as in 2 x 21 watt bulbs and not a hazard also, unless it gives a extra bit of information saying that, however usually that would just mean it would work but at the wrong flash rate.
A common issue on hazard lights is the switch it's self goes faulty and has trouble changing from one job to the other.
Sometimes spraying the inside of it with electrical spray and working it vigorously several times can get it to work, but if not then a replacement part would be needed.
If suspect switch it should be possible to test using a multimeter.:)
Thanks for the info, Mike. So where is the hazard switch and why would those lights work, but not the turn signals? You think if I just replace the hazard switch that will do it? Is that the actual switch on the dashboard? Part # by chance? Is there not a switch/relay/something for the turn signals? Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Mike. So where is the hazard switch and why would those lights work, but not the turn signals? You think if I just replace the hazard switch that will do it? Is that the actual switch on the dashboard? Part # by chance? Is there not a switch/relay/something for the turn signals? Thanks again for your help!
Normally the switch on the dashboard is the only thing apart from the flasher unit you mentioned so no extra relays etc.
If you pull it out you should see several wires to it, it may look like this on your model. If it will not clean, this is from a quick search. It says Midwest Bayless Columbus Ohio.:)
1713470554329.png

Back