Technical 1964 Fiat 600 problems

Currently reading:
Technical 1964 Fiat 600 problems

Nikolajpelle93

Hi all,

I have recently bought me self a 1964 fiat 600 and are quite happy for it.
The engine also runs quite well, despite a 3 cylinder problem if i have'nt been fired up for a couple of days.. eventhough the spark plugs and ignition looks relatively new.. (thoughts on how to things that problem?)
It's also a little bouncy when drivning i 3th and 4th gear, the gear stick is all over the place - but it stops when i put it in neutral. Any ideas om what that could be?

20230713_132658.jpg
20230626_184637.jpg

20230626_184706.jpg

Can't really offer much help but think I would check carb mixture, plug gaps. I find mine needs full choke and pump throttle if not been started for a while. With regards gear change I'd check all mounting bolts are tight for a start.
Good to have another owner on.
Any chance of a photo of the floor pan below the water pump as I haven't got one fitted on mine.

If you think it is on three cylinders, me having done this many times before and I don't think have a weak heart ( this is my warning to you about the risk of an electric shock), I would loosen all the plug leads , start engine and carefully holding the insulated part of the plug lead ease one at a time away from the plug to determine which one makes no difference, then when holding it slightly away from the plug terminal firstly can you hear the spark jumping to the plug, sometimes just by doing this it causes a fatter spark temporarily which if slight plug fouling is the reason for misfire can clear. You may still need to replace the plugs.
If engine starts to fire that cylinder it may be worth pulling the distributor cap off and checking for tracking / shorting inside the cap at the contact that goes to that spark plug.
It can also be a faulty plug lead, a continuity test with a multimeter set to ohms may show this.
If none of this works then it may be time to do a compression test.
I repeat the warning re electric shock, I have had them many times but best to be careful. Some people use plastic pliers to hold the leads away.
If you only occasionally use the car and for short journeys then plug fouling is a likely cause and if all else is good and you only ever do short journeys then a slghtly hotter range of plugs may be the answer , or longer faster trips to self clean the plugs.
Congratulations on a lovely looking 600, I had one with the suicide doors many years ago but no where near as good as yours.:)

Back