Technical 16v flywheel & clutch options

Currently reading:
Technical 16v flywheel & clutch options

Think I could run the 180mm flywheel and standard Cinq clutch on a 1.4 16v engine?

Fiat intended the 1.4 16v engines to run with the 200mm so they must have had good reason??

I know the 180/190/200mm flywheels are interchangeable and it will physically fit BUT will it work? Think it would slip like mad or wear the clutch too quickly?

Last edited:
i think it will hold on ok tbh. My old cinq tubby clutch lasted to 97k miles and it had been turbo for a long time - and really i killed it off by turning boost upto silly levels and it started to slip after a good thrash but was ok the rest of the time.

It will do the job for long enough to not worry about it anyway - if/when it goes you can upgrade.

Last edited:
I don't think you would encounter any issues using the smaller assembly as the 1.4 engines come from heavier cars, potentially some 3-400kgs heavier and therefore the clutch has a harder job on initiating drive to move the car off from stationary.

Of course like brake discs, the larger the circumference, the bigger the contact area and therefore the greater the clamping force that can be exerted. And the larger area dissipates heat quicker as a hot clutch will slip quicker than a cooler one, much like brakes.

Crucially though, unlike the forced induction cars the engine doesn't produce the massive torque spike at low revs which soon overwhelms the clutch in high gears once some wear has set in, or it gets hot from lots of hard acceleration through the gears.

Just a quick (related q) on flywheels, am i right in thinking...

180mm- Standard cento
190mm- 1.2 16v (punto sporting, brava etc)
200mm- standard 1.4 16v? (possibly 1.6 as well?)

Anyone know what fly the 1.2 8v puntos ran? guessing 180mm?

Back