Tuning 1368cc 16V FIRE Turbo (T-Jet) Uno conversion

Currently reading:
Tuning 1368cc 16V FIRE Turbo (T-Jet) Uno conversion

CALLING LOUIE BEE! I know you wanted to see this going and Oulton is right by you and all that.

Morning, aint you been getting on with it (y)

I've not been on here much with the joys of new babey :D

I'm off on that Wednesday 27th so hope we can come along to Oultern Park. I'm guessing it's a trackday with no fee to enter the ground :confused:- Just the track

Last edited:
Thanks for the general positive comments from Vance and Dunc. Louie, it is just a trackday with free public entrance. Anyone else who is interested and has a day off should pop down for a nosey. I'll be there all day.

I have been otherwise busy this weekend, but with the extra hour of light, I will be working on her after work when I have the energy.

Spent nearly 3 hours trying to mate the gearbox up to the engine. The box seemed to locate pretty easily and I started doing up bolts to mate the last 10mm and it just won't go. I can't work it out. I have checked and re-checked the flywheel protector plates for interference and had the box off several times now. I got annoyed and have tightened some bolts up very tight, but no movement.

Bearing in mind that I have had this exact bellhousing/clutch/clutch slave mated fine before, my only thoughts are
1) (now) damaged internals in my LSD preventing the intermediate shaft locating properly some how
2) the input shaft is too long. This is after all a diesel box with a T-Jet bell-housing.

In other news, I bought a TMC tuning box second hand for around half price, which seems like the cheapest pretty safe power one could ever buy. Should be looking at 180HP and 180 lb/ft torque, which will do fine for the first stage of the tuning.

Attachments

• tmc.JPG
    tmc.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 82
Bearing in mind that I have had this exact bellhousing/clutch/clutch slave mated fine before, my only thoughts are
1) (now) damaged internals in my LSD preventing the intermediate shaft locating properly some how
2) the input shaft is too long. This is after all a diesel box with a T-Jet bell-housing.
or 3) none of the above! I got the gearbox on today after checking input shaft projections and eventually putting a wheel on the O/S hub to allow me to spin the intermediate shaft a little whilst yanking on the box and it did finally go on. Have to say I am a little worried that the splined part of the shaft only locates with 10mm of the differential splines.

Ohh so you did have an gp t-jet engine, ohh thats interesting that the bravo is the same as the abarth is even the turbo the same?
Yes they are same turbo and everything, see post 6. I've still got the 120 T-Jet engine to put in my Panda 100HP, however...

I went to collect another (and last!) T-Jet engine today. This one is from the last of the Abarth Grande Puntos before they went multiair. It is BRAND NEW! Part number 71751111. Not exactly sure what to do with it yet. Could keep as ultimate spare for the Uno or use in the Panda and sell 120 engine.

I went to collect another (and last!) T-Jet engine today. This one is from the last of the Abarth Grande Puntos before they went multiair. It is BRAND NEW! Part number 71751111. Not exactly sure what to do with it yet. Could keep as ultimate spare for the Uno or use in the Panda and sell 120 engine.
[/img][/url]

Blimey! How? where? have they got any 1.4 8v`s? how much?

Your a lucky man!

Wanna swap a 1.4 lump for my Tempra 2.0tc? lol :D

Blimey! How? where? have they got any 1.4 8v`s? how much?

Your a lucky man!

Wanna swap a 1.4 lump for my Tempra 2.0tc? lol :D
I'll have a 1.4 16v from the 100HP available some time this year. All my cars have 1.4 FIRE engines in, so I don't need any other type!

I found on eBay not listed very well. £600. FIAT price is £4,500! They didn't have any other FIAT engines, they generally get Ford. They didn't know it was Abarth or indeed turbo. 1.4 8v engines are easily got and not expensive from my research.

I drove her for the first time tonight! Admittedly it was 10MPH in the car park outside my house. Oil leak free at the moment, thank goodness. Cable change gearbox working well. I have plans to drive her a bit faster on the road tomorrow evening if I can tie up all the things that are hanging down everywhere and bolt the gear lever to the floor and other little things before it is dark. Brakes and clutch working though, so should be enough time to finish off. I will take pics tomorrow or Friday depending on time.

I have decided the intermediate shaft only mating 1cm in my differential is unacceptable. I plan to drive her to London on Saturday morning to see a fabricating friend of mine so I can sort a modified/new intermediate shaft bracket to allow more of the shaft to mate with the differential. Gonna need a bit of luck between now and then to pull this off!

No Pics! Boo! Took too long to prepare for take off. Drove the car for about 10 miles tonight. There are few things more thrilling and scary than driving a car you have just built or rebuilt lots of for the first time.

First impressions
-quiet
-over 2000RPM lag barely factors into acceleration
-turbo runs out of puff really badly towards 6000RPM; like cliff edge and this is the Abarth turbo
-gearing is long enough; 5th is crazy long and can't imagine using it on a track
-engine is behaving totally normally outside of the donor (phew!)
-cable shifter is a dream; only small movement required and very positive feeling
-been reminded what a handful it is at low speed due to LSD, suspension geo and fat tyres

Still lots of little finishing jobs to do tomorrow before my trip to London on Saturday, but hope to complete these in time for another drive which I will film on board with a window mount.

As promised, here is a video. Sound is a bit crap in parts because of the nature of having a camera fixed to roll bar and noisy shaking auto adjusting the mic volume. Realise also the angle isn't the best, but it is something at least!

Doesn't sound like any UT I've been in before. Really is surprisingly quiet. Certainly induction is louder than exhaust most of the time. It makes you think you aren't going as fast as you are. On the dual carriageway, when I start accelerating I am doing about 45MPH and when I change into fifth, I am doing a real (not indicated) 110MPH. Not bad for standard tune. Driving her to London after F1 qualifying tomorrow and will probably use TMC tuning box on the way back to compare.

As promised, here is a video. Sound is a bit crap in parts because of the nature of having a camera fixed to roll bar and noisy shaking auto adjusting the mic volume. Realise also the angle isn't the best, but it is something at least!

Doesn't sound like any UT I've been in before. Really is surprisingly quiet. Certainly induction is louder than exhaust most of the time. It makes you think you aren't going as fast as you are. On the dual carriageway, when I start accelerating I am doing about 45MPH and when I change into fifth, I am doing a real (not indicated) 110MPH. Not bad for standard tune. Driving her to London after F1 qualifying tomorrow and will probably use TMC tuning box on the way back to compare.

Well done Lewey! it seems to have gone alot smoother than the Panda, electrical issues-wise anyway, is that thanks to the stand alone management?

The sound that comes in at 1:00-ish, is that the LSD? it sounds like a straight cut gearbox!

If anything goes wrong tomorrow while your down here, with either the engineers, or with the car, let me know, you can use my unit & machine shop (in Welwyn Gdn City) 24/7. I can tow you if necessary too. I`ll PM you my number in case.

One again, well done on completing (well, virtually:D) another superb project!! :worship:

Last edited:
Well done Lewey! it seems to have gone alot smoother than the Panda, electrical issues-wise anyway, is that thanks to the stand alone management?
I'm using the donor car (Bravo 150) electronics only! It was quicker than the Panda because of what I have learnt from that and also I decided only to make the engine work with it, rather than the self-imposed challenge of integrating all the other electrical devices into it like the Panda. There are still plenty of challenges ahead though, like how to display info through normal gauges, utilising other sensors for the larger hybrid turbo I plan to fit, etc.

The sound that comes in at 1:00-ish, is that the LSD? it sounds like a straight cut gearbox!
That is simply tyre noise! Can't hear the LSD or the box; does sound like straight cut gears in the video though.

If anything goes wrong tomorrow while your down here, with either the engineers, or with the car, let me know, you can use my unit & machine shop (in Welwyn Gdn City) 24/7. I can tow you if necessary too. I`ll PM you my number in case.
Thanks very much. I have RAC recovery cover, but always good to have a backup. The friend at the fabricators is a friend from my school days, so shouldn't be any problems there. I'm staying with him over the weekend.

Back